Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-23-2006, 06:36 PM

Default Re: Roughing the Kicker

[ QUOTE ]

Why do you care if the kicker gets hurt or not? He assumes the same risk that everyone else does that plays the game.

[/ QUOTE ]

Without rules protection, Kickers would assume more risk than any other position. They have little ability to protect themselves from getting hit. When in this position...

...a kicker is unable to brace himself against a charging defender who could be at full speed at the moment of contact. They'd be defenseless targets.
Old 09-23-2006, 06:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
So you would prefer...what? Defensive players be able to level the kicker for no reason after the kick has been made?

The major problem is punters diving to draw the penalty, not the rule itself.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you are diving toward a quarterback as he's throwing the ball, and hit him after contact, it's not a penalty. Why isn't the same for kicks? You only get called for a roughing the passer call if it's been about 2 seconds after he throws the ball and some big oaf defensive lineman knocks him over. If a defender is in the air going for the ball as he's kicking the ball, why it a penalty if he misses the ball and ends up hitting the kicker as he's landing?
Old 09-23-2006, 06:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
why it a penalty if he misses the ball and ends up hitting the kicker as he's landing?

[/ QUOTE ]

To protect against unnecessary injuries.

There is absolutely no reason to remove the penalty. All it would do is create extra injuries/carnage. If you want to see people get hurt, watch UFC.
Old 09-23-2006, 06:41 PM

OP, do you have a problem with penalties for late hits on wide receivers too? it seems like you're saying that you should be able to injure another player no matter what at any time.

also, as someone mentioned, teams only have one kicker on the roster. it's a position that isn't readily interchangeable with other positions. in other words, if the kicker is injured during the game, the team is [censored]. this is the reason that there is special protection for the kicker.

btw, i'm sorry that your team got called for roughing the kicker (must have been tosu?).
Old 09-23-2006, 06:46 PM

Let's just play Rollerball instead.
Old 09-23-2006, 06:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
why it a penalty if he misses the ball and ends up hitting the kicker as he's landing?

[/ QUOTE ]

To protect against unnecessary injuries.

There is absolutely no reason to remove the penalty. All it would do is create extra injuries/carnage. If you want to see people get hurt, watch UFC.

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't get me wrong, I am human and understand the sympathic "to protect against injuries" cry. But to play a smash mouth game of football for 3+ downs, and then on 4th and long let the kicker drop back and boot it without risk just because he's the kicker I think is absurd.

I can't believe more people aren't with me on this issue. The feeling you get when your team blocks a punt creates great excitement, and sheer terror on the other side of the ball when it gets blocked. From a fan perspective, I feel this would be better.
Old 09-23-2006, 06:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Why do you care if the kicker gets hurt or not? He assumes the same risk that everyone else does that plays the game.

[/ QUOTE ]

Without rules protection, Kickers would assume more risk than any other position. They have little ability to protect themselves from getting hit. When in this position...

...a kicker is unable to brace himself against a charging defender who could be at full speed at the moment of contact. They'd be defenseless targets.

[/ QUOTE ]

And 99% of the time, he is going to get knocked back on his ass and then get back up and trot back to the sidelines.

Wide receivers stretch out and dive for balls in mid air and get hit in mid air. If a defender does it should it be a penalty?
Old 09-23-2006, 06:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]

also, as someone mentioned, teams only have one kicker on the roster. it's a position that isn't readily interchangeable with other positions. in other words, if the kicker is injured during the game, the team is [censored]. this is the reason that there is special protection for the kicker.

[/ QUOTE ]

A better response I feel would be to blame the defense for not protecting him?
Old 09-23-2006, 07:06 PM

it keeps the defense from taking cheap shots at the kicker, duh.
Old 09-23-2006, 07:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The feeling you get when your team blocks a punt creates great excitement, and sheer terror on the other side of the ball when it gets blocked. From a fan perspective, I feel this would be better.

[/ QUOTE ]

The gap in your logic is that removing or changing the penalty would not create more blocked kicks, only more late hits and injuries.