Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-27-2006, 07:49 PM

Default Re: Interesting Heads Up Match

i like this. there is no need to push anything other than premium hands against a player who isn't going All-In over the top of you ever.

The rest is just value-betting and not letting him scrape a pot back noce you are on top
Old 01-27-2006, 09:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
As I mentioned before, I felt like it would only take one big pot against this guy to put me in a really profitable spot where I could be selectively, inexpensively aggressive and chip away at him. He seemed willing to play a big pot whenever, so all I had to do was pick my spot.

[/ QUOTE ]
If your strategy of folding good hands was to set him up for the big kill, then why didn't you bet the river on that top set with Jack hand? Even that hand you played too passively (top set with J5 is not exactly a "trap hand").

I truly think you should pay attention to the good criticism you are receiving. Your defense of your play in this match is not very convincing to me.
Old 01-28-2006, 12:57 AM

[ QUOTE ]
If your strategy of folding good hands was to set him up for the big kill, then why didn't you bet the river on that top set with Jack hand? Even that hand you played too passively (top set with J5 is not exactly a "trap hand").

[/ QUOTE ]

You mean top pair, right? That was the kind of hand I was waiting for. The small turn bet was meant to induce a bluff. I guess I could have three-bet the turn when he check-raised, but I thought it was unlikely he had many out (turns out he had 7, more than I expected) and I could get more out of letting him bluff the river. I don't think he calls a raise on the river with any worse hands.

[ QUOTE ]
I truly think you should pay attention to the good criticism you are receiving. Your defense of your play in this match is not very convincing to me.

[/ QUOTE ]

I didn't mean to come across as defensive or dismissive of the comments I've gotten. I've tried to respond to every one because I am taking them seriously and thinking about them. I'm trying to explain why I didn't play this particular match in the way that some have recommended, and I'd be very interested to know what you don't like about my reasoning or which hands you think I should have played differently. I promise to pay attention! [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Thanks for the response, I appreciate it.