Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-22-2006, 12:43 PM

Default Bust Hand/Strategy - $30 Buy-In - push against weak-tight player

Alright, I played a local tournament here at a card room, and before I post the hand, several things need to be known about the tournament structure:

1. Buy-In was $30 for $1000 starting chips, $3000 chip add-on at break for $20

2. VIP Gold players/live ring game players get to start with anywhere from 1000-3000 extra chips depending on their time booked in the ring games (I don't play the 5-150 there, so I start out with 1k at a huge disadvantage)

3. Due to the fact that 80% of the players have 3000+, the average bet/raise during the 25/50 and 50/100 levels (before the add-on) is 300-500, which basically means I'm almost committed to any hand I play (unless I sneak or for cheap on blinds/button), even if I miss or feel I'm outdrawn.

My idea (which I've never tried before) was to not play a single hand and wait till I could add-on and get my M to 12 at the 100/200 level, regardless of what I got. I figured I could get nice reads on all players, without them having a single clue how I was going to play.

So, after taking advantage of my image after the add-on period (limping a monster AA knowing I would get raised by the two people I planned to triple up on), I triple up to 5950 (1900x3 + antes), and then get moved to a new table. After about 20-30 minutes at the new table (about 2.5 hours deep in tourney), I bust out on the following hand, and am wondering how bad of a play it was, and whether I should have seen it coming. Villian is stereotypical weak/tight player, only playing premium pocket pairs and AKs, raising every time to exactly 4 times bb and showing down his hand when people fold. He was the only player who moved to my new table with me, and I've been watching him exact predictable behavior all night. He also check/folded every flop he missed and bet on every flop he hit/had overpair to. Here's the hand:

Blinds 200/400 with 25 ante - Pot 850 to start
Stack Sizes:

Me - 4300
Villian - ~5000/6000 (hid chips behind his stack)
Average - ~8000-12000
Big Stack - ~18000

1. Villian limps in UTG for 4800
2. Folds around to me
3. I raise on button to 1200 with Q [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 10 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
4. SB/BB fold
5. Villian smooth calls - now $3250 in pot

FLOP

6 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 6 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 4 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

7. Villian checks to me
8. I check

TURN

10 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

9. Villian bets 1200
10. I push my last 3300 into pot

Help me out with what I could have done/why this was a terrible play...will share end of hand in a bit.

This is my first hand post, so feel free to destroy me if need be.
Old 09-22-2006, 06:27 PM

Default Re: Bust Hand/Strategy - $30 Buy-In - push against weak-tight player

Alright, no response, so I'll post the result and hopefully get some advice from the pros on here:

RIVER

9 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

Villian shows 4 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 4 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

Didn't see this coming. I put him on a possible mid pair 7s, 8s, 9s, AK, or other unpaired high cards.

My thinking now is along the lines of bad push, because the only hand he would have called me with was one that beat me, thus making my push a poor EV bet. The point could be made that I shouldn't have been in the hand to begin with also. However, since I made the steal attempt, got to see a free turn which paired my 10 and in my mind most likely had overpaired his 7s, 8s, or 9s, I thought to myself I would have lost most of my stack, or all of it on this hand at my current skill level. Any input would be awesome.
Old 09-22-2006, 07:20 PM

Since, you're a new poster.. here are some things
1. Try to be succinct - no need for your life story here
2. BB 400 - Villain "limps" for 4800?!!!
3.Villian smooth calls - How come $3250 in the pot?!!

Read your post, before you expect others too -
Old 09-22-2006, 07:31 PM

1. will do next time - my bad - just thought my thought process would be important.
2. typo - limps for $400
3. 1200+1200+600+$250 = $3250 ($600 in blinds + $250 in antes + $400 limp + $1200 bet + $800 call = $3250)
Old 09-22-2006, 07:59 PM

Now re - the hand,
with an M of 5, I'd prolly fold here. If you choose to raise, you should shove - its totally push bot time. Have you read HOH2?
Old 09-25-2006, 02:21 PM

yes - i read hoh 1/2/3 multiple times, but obviously i fail to utilize the advice 100% of the time. i just figured despite being in the red zone, i could push out sb/bb with a raise due to table image, wait (pray?) for him to whiff the flop if no high cards came out, then push and take it down after. you're definately right about being in push/shove mode though, thanks.
Old 09-25-2006, 02:25 PM

you need to push or fold preflop. stealing doesnt work when you put in 1/3+ of your chips preflop. As played, i don't think there is a whole lot you could do. But you messed this up preflop.

If he bets the flop, your raise will be so insignificant that, if he's not an idiot, he has to call (therefore he's not going to be betting air)