Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > STT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-22-2006, 01:18 PM

Default Hand range question for opening at level 3 (party)

After reading through this post
http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showth...e=2#Post7371537

I see that lots of people advocate folding AJo preflop in mid position at level 3 six handed. I am very weak-tight in the first two levels and have a very small open raising hand range. I make the switch to open my game up at level 3 (50/100) because I beleive the blinds are officially big enough to steal. My question is what is your hand range for open raising at level 3 in all positions, without any significant reads or reguards to buy in level? And why are you tighter / looser than earlier rounds?
Old 09-22-2006, 01:27 PM

Default Re: Hand range question for opening at level 3 (party)

We are talking speeds here and we are talking under five minutes til we enter pushbot mode, so chippreservation is key.

And you can open up in late position, but at a level like the 11s, you are likely to be against people who want to play with you.

There is 150 in blinds, but a steal attempt gone wrong cost you at least 250 chips, maybe more if you cbet and get called.

I treasure my stack and don't find the risk reward ratio here to be sufficiant, one orbit and we are pushbots ... that is where our greatest edge lies in these suckers.
Old 09-22-2006, 01:36 PM

You should tighten up in levels 3 and 4 - no need to waste chips here. I'd much rather play a few extra hands in levels 1 and 2 than in level 3 but even then, hands that can stack someone not hands like AJo.

So I basically never play AJo until it is pushworthy - there are exceptions, like say on the button or CO with tight blinds in an unopened pot but generally it is auto muck for me.

rvg
Old 09-22-2006, 06:02 PM

Just looking over my Pokertracker stats. I have a VP$P of 12.94% and a preflop raise of %10.44 over my last 1000 or so games at level 3. Mostly 22 speeds with a few 11s and 33s thrown in. Is that too aggressive? I have a win rate at this level of 0.02 BB per hand.