Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Theory
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-21-2006, 08:31 PM

Default Question about betting online.

What effect do you think typing in a number as opposed to clicking on one of the preset multiples of numbers have on your game and how others perceive you, if any? I play on Pokerstars
Old 09-21-2006, 08:39 PM

Default Re: Question about betting online.

Well for one thing people call more online than they do in live games. To call online is just a click of the mouse. In live play you have to do the whole reach for the chips, count them up and throw them into the pot. Such a strenuous action in a live game.

-HoldemPokerPlyr
Old 09-21-2006, 08:41 PM

Not much, I wouldn't think too deeply into it. Unless it's something that an opponent never does, then suddenly types in a number. But as with all other "tells" these are usually the last thing you would go on. Go on the situation, how the opponent plays etc. Bottom line - K.I.S.S.
Old 09-22-2006, 01:56 AM

If you type in something weird, a multiple of 111, your birthdate or pin for your atm card, they'll think you're an idiot. If you type in an amount that puts you all in bar a unit, you will make me laugh if no one else, because I find that funny no matter how many times I see it.
Old 09-22-2006, 08:47 AM

The only times I wish I could reach through the computer and beat somebody half to death is when they bet like they are 13 years old. I had some boner tack on $.69 to every bet he made at NL$200 once. In a live game I would continously berate them to the point of going on tilt or until they cried, that's how much it pisses me off. In summary it's not a bad way to put a nit like me on tilt, if you are OK with the entire table thinking thinking you are a [censored] idiot.
Old 09-22-2006, 10:01 AM

Ok thanks yall I was just asking because I get tired of betting in the preset multiples, like in tournaments sometimes i overbet when i really just want to do a pot bet and its just because I'm too lazy to type it in. But It looks like it doesnt really matter either way. So I think sometimes ill type it in and sometimes i wont whatever just makes me feel better at the time, but im not going to do any weird [censored] like put a 69 in my bets as i see clowns on pokerstars do sometimes.
Old 09-22-2006, 01:06 PM

Here is a couple of points.

1. Say the blinds are 50/100 in a NL tourney. The SB completes and the BB checks. There's 200 in the pot. Now the option is to bet a multiple of 100 so say that's either a 1/2 pot bet or a pot bet. Sometimes I don't like either of these numbers and I'll type in 140 to bet into a 200 pot which is what I want.

2. Some people type in a weird amount like 488 so that when the chips appear in front of him there are many more chips showing than a 500 bet even the the price is close to the same (a 500 bet is usually one 500 chip while a 488 bet is 4 100s, 3 25s, 2 5s and 3 1s, or in other words 12 chips). This is a psychological ploy to make it look like you bet a lot more than you did. The same psychology applies in revers when pricing retail items. $99.99 looks a lot less than $100.00.

3. Other times people may put in odd amounts so it is not so obvious or as eash to for you do your quick pot odds calculations.

Personally, I find it easy to ignore odd amounts although I will try to see if a player is putting in the large chip trick if he is weak which can be a reliable tell (although sometimes it's a reverse tell).
Old 09-24-2006, 12:29 AM

I'm with PantsOnFire here. I'll type in an amount so that I'm not minraising but I'm minraising if you know what I mean. So if the bet is 100, I might type in a raise of 125, just so that the guys playing on autopilot don't think "minraise, do this".