Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-06-2006, 05:14 PM

Default Re: 3/6 Party -- AK oop -- should I have fired again on turn?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Villain hasn't played much in 4-5 orbits, therefore you have to assume he's a tight player and got a piece of the flop, probably top pair or top two pair.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think this is a terrible assumption to make. All villian did was limp preflop, call a raise and call a bet on the flop. There is no reason to put him on top pair or top two - he could have an underpair or a str8 draw for all we know.

[/ QUOTE ]
Ryan,

I don't really think it's a stretch to assume villian is tight. With 8 players at the table, 4-5 orbits is 32-40 hands, and if he's only played 5-6 hands he's under 20% VPIP. If my read on villian is correct that he's tight and possibly passive (which isn't a stretch since he didn't raise on any street), then being UTG with QJ or QT offsuit is a hand he'd probably limp with since these are maginal hands from this position seeking to hit a big flop. Which possibly villain has done.

Adam

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree that suited broadway are in his range but where are you getting this info from? Played 5 or 6 hands? Has vpip under 20? Is tight/passive?

Either I'm missing something or you are making all of this up.

This is all OP said:

No stats on Villain. He's been at the table for 4-5 orbits, hasn't played too many hands and hasn't done anything too provocative yet.
Old 09-19-2006, 01:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Villain hasn't played much in 4-5 orbits, therefore you have to assume he's a tight player and got a piece of the flop, probably top pair or top two pair.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think this is a terrible assumption to make. All villian did was limp preflop, call a raise and call a bet on the flop. There is no reason to put him on top pair or top two - he could have an underpair or a str8 draw for all we know.

[/ QUOTE ]
Ryan,

I don't really think it's a stretch to assume villian is tight. With 8 players at the table, 4-5 orbits is 32-40 hands, and if he's only played 5-6 hands he's under 20% VPIP. If my read on villian is correct that he's tight and possibly passive (which isn't a stretch since he didn't raise on any street), then being UTG with QJ or QT offsuit is a hand he'd probably limp with since these are maginal hands from this position seeking to hit a big flop. Which possibly villain has done.

Adam

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree that suited broadway are in his range but where are you getting this info from? Played 5 or 6 hands? Has vpip under 20? Is tight/passive?

Either I'm missing something or you are making all of this up.

This is all OP said:

No stats on Villain. He's been at the table for 4-5 orbits, hasn't played too many hands and hasn't done anything too provocative yet.

[/ QUOTE ]
Ryan,

You just made my point. Villain hasn't played too many hands in 4-5 orbits. At an 8 person table, 4 orbits is 32 hands, 5 orbits is 40 hands. So lets make an educated guess that not playing too many hands means 5-6 hands not including the SB & BB. Either way, when we don't include the blinds, that gives villain a VPIP under 20% which most poker tracking software would consider tight. The fact that the OP said villain hasn't done anything "too provocative" would lead me to believe he's a little passive. So I'm not making things up, I'm just going on what little information I have from this post.

Adam
Old 09-19-2006, 01:45 PM

I think simply if you're going to check/call the turn, you might as well bet it. Getting raised is not a huge problem @ 7-1 odds with two overcards + a gutshot to the nuts.
Old 09-19-2006, 03:13 PM

When I'm the aggressor I almost never check the turn with AK UI but if I'm going to do it this is the type of board to do it on. Either way I am not calling the river; it's possible he missed a straight but it's also very possible he would give up bluffing it after you called the turn.
Old 09-21-2006, 10:53 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I think simply if you're going to check/call the turn, you might as well bet it. Getting raised is not a huge problem @ 7-1 odds with two overcards + a gutshot to the nuts.

[/ QUOTE ]
Our Hero is on the Turn. He is getting 7:1 pot odds to make an 11:1 draw. Betting here is not a good line. Check call the Turn and fold to a bet on the River.

Adam