Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-20-2006, 10:05 AM

Default psychological strain comparing FL and NL

Hi there,

first I want to apollogize for my bad english, it's not my native language...

I've been playing (and winning) FL for the last year, and never ran below 3BB/100, over perhaps 60k hands.

Since 8 weeks I'm on a cooler, I cannot play a winning session any more.

OK, I know this is all variance, but this is not my real problem...

Because I was tired of always playing FL I ventured into NL (also shorthanded), and I'm also playing (relatively) good, at last good enough to be a solid winner at 25$ and 50$ NL.

My problem is when playing limit, I CANT STAND the beats, I'm getting tilted pretty fast... yesterday for example I thought to myself "Yourself, you should try playing limit again !", so I sat down on some 1/2$ at Stars.

After losing with KK against 62s (Preflop, and Flop were capped, he rivered his inside-str8 on the river), losing a FH against 4 of a Kind, and losing 2 Sets on the river i was SO DAMN PI**ED I couldn't stand it any more, I had to leave.

If something like this happens to me playing NL, I'm also angry, but I definately dont get on tilt like when I'm losing at FL.

I know that beats like this happen, but why
- do they happen to me primarly when playing FL
- do they tilt me off like this when playing FL

Why is this ? Why can't I control my sorry a** when I play FL, but all the self-control stuff works when playing NL ?

Any ideas ? Or even help ? [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
Old 09-20-2006, 10:27 PM

Default Re: psychological strain comparing FL and NL

I don't really tilt too bad, but on a smaller scale I feel like this because:

In NL, I feel like I have more control..I feel like I could've played the hand better and it is my fault, and I don't really tilt if it is my fault, just if they are...

I also know in NL I can definately extract a bunch of money from these bad players because of the NL style, whereas in Limit I might not get it back because of the capped betting..

I'm not totally sure, but that is a couple of things that cause me to think like that..
Old 09-21-2006, 05:28 AM

You are not playing poker. You are playing No Fold'm Hold'm. It looks like poker. It sounds like poker. No Fold'm Hold'm is one step above kitchen table recreational poker. It is not much more than a lottery. There are three things you can do about it.

1. Tighten your pre-flop starting standards. Big pocket pairs got down in value. Play more suited connectors and drawing hands. Try to see the flop as cheap as possible. Forget about bluffing or betting to protect your hand. Most of the time your opponents are getting good pot odds to call. If you play better than your opponents, which is not hard to do, you will win in the long run. In the short term your opponents will draw out on you over and over again. You will just have to take it in stride and encourage them to keep chasing you down.

2. Move up to a higher limit where bets, raises, and position are respected.

3. Quit playing poker.
Old 09-21-2006, 08:47 AM

@Gimpy:

You forgot your irony-tags....
Old 09-21-2006, 10:09 AM

May I suggest party blackjack?