Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-21-2006, 05:28 AM

Default Any use starting out limit HE now?

Hey!

I've played NL for about 1.5-2 years or so and now I'm started to get a bit interested in limit HE. But some part of me says it's a bad idea to get into the world of limit now, since NL seems to be taking over. If I do get involved in trying out LHE I would take it seriously and study the game and really get deep in it. But I don't want to do that with a game which will dry up or become more or less unbeatable.

Do you think LHE will be drying up so much that it's not worth playing any more?

Also do you think that a winning NL player would have a hard time transitioning to LHE low stakes (up to 5/10)?

Basically I'm just worried that I'll be getting myself involved in something I won't have future use for.

Any thoughts or ideas on this one?
Old 09-21-2006, 06:43 AM

Default Re: Any use starting out limit HE now?

Yes LHE is drying up. For various reasons few people start out is LHE nowadays. And even fewer tries to approach it Gus Hansen-style. And "thanks" to the sob's that wrote SSH ppl no longer cold call with dominated hands.
(And YES i am bitter..hehe..last 6 months ive tried to do the opposite transistion u are thinkning about.)
This has caused several chain reactions up and down the stake levels. Fewer awful players make it harder for decent players to win enough to take shots higher up. And that in turn makes middle levels a little tougher to beat. And that in turn eventually forces ok/good players to sometimes move down. Which in turn makes lower stakes even harder. The only areas i still think are profitable are 6max and hu with much time spent on selecting tables and somewhat higher stakes so rake impact wont be so huge.
This sounds like doomsday prophecy but i DO think that low LHE is dead.
Of course it still can be beaten, but if u cant kill the game at those stakes i think it is not worth the time.
Old 09-21-2006, 07:11 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Yes LHE is drying up.

[/ QUOTE ]

I DO hope you are kidding. If now WHAT are you talking about! There are awesome games out there. I've been online for 8 years and I see no such thing. You just have to get away from the big sites. Don't blame books. Blame PokerTracker if anything.

There are many great games out there in Limit. Hell - I played a 62% $5/10 just two weeks ago and 45% games are not hard to find at all up to 5/10.

Stop play Party, Poker Stars WPEX and there is a whole wonderfull world out there.

Limit dying? LOL!!
Old 09-21-2006, 07:14 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Yes LHE is drying up.

[/ QUOTE ]

I DO hope you are kidding. If now WHAT are you talking about! There are awesome games out there. I've been online for 8 years and I see no such thing. You just have to get away from the big sites. Don't blame books. Blame PokerTracker if anything.

There are many great games out there in Limit. Hell - I played a 62% $5/10 just two weeks ago and 45% games are not hard to find at all up to 5/10.

Stop play Party, Poker Stars WPEX and there is a whole wonderfull world out there.

Limit dying? LOL!!

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
Also do you think that a winning NL player would have a hard time transitioning to LHE low stakes (up to 5/10)?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes! however - if you are a good player the initial shock will wear off and you should be fine.

I think many NL players come into Limit and think they can play the same aggressive style of game and soon they see that with 5 people in the pot it's tough to be in command.

The seeing 3 people call your river bet is a surprise. Same game different rules ;-)
Old 09-21-2006, 07:35 AM

ok sir. i've mostly played on prima and party.
1st ,i must ask were those games 10handed or 6handed?
and
2nd ,might i be bold and ask what site's and networks u find those great games?
Old 09-21-2006, 07:49 AM

62% gotta be shorthanded, but it's not THAT uncommon to see fullring around 50% and SH up to 75 %. Depending on what level obviously. Try the boss network if you want lose games.
Old 09-21-2006, 08:48 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Try the boss network if you want lose games.

[/ QUOTE ]

what is the boss network?
Old 09-21-2006, 09:01 AM

I know even less about NLHE than I do LHE. However, I'll throw my two cents worth in anyway...

I think playing some limit hold 'em would be very good for you.

Firstly, you may find that you have a better 'knack' for LHE. With some attention, LHE could become your best game. You may be able to reach far greater (and more profitable) levels at LHE than you could ever attain at NLHE. LHE might be your 'true calling'. In this case, you wouldn't have to worry so much about the games 'drying up'. The very best players will always beat the game.

Secondly, if all you do is play NLHE, I think you may lose some enthusiasm for the game. Your play might get a bit 'stale' and you may stop improving. However, if you spend some time learning and playing limit hold 'em, you will return refreshed and ready to improve. You'll now have different and possibly better perspectives on the game. Also, I think you'll find many of the skills you pick up at limit will actually be transferable into the no-limit game. For example, I think your NLHE value betting skills would be vastly improved if you spent some time at LHE. So, I think playing limit hold 'em (and other poker games for that matter) could actually improve your no-limit game.

For what it's worth, I can tell you that today's online small stakes limit hold 'em games are very beatable even at the major sites.

That's my two cents.
Old 09-21-2006, 01:02 PM

check this

Boss sites
Old 09-21-2006, 01:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
check this

Boss sites

[/ QUOTE ]

wow, thanks.