Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-21-2006, 05:00 AM

Default Re: Prahlad\'s sunglasses

[ QUOTE ]
>> One item not really mentioned here was Johnny Chan being inside the ropes should not have been allowed.

[/ QUOTE ]

i remember watching the 88 wsop, i believe, and doyle was sitting inside the ropes while chan and seidel played. i guess when you're a world champ you can do whatever the [censored] you want.
Old 09-21-2006, 05:22 AM

tournaments has gotten so silly, a caveman can win a million dollars.
Old 09-21-2006, 01:30 PM

So what exactly was Gold's "tell" that everyone here is talking about?
Old 09-21-2006, 01:35 PM

betting 750 with K-high? guessing. i base that on gold bluffing with KT vs prahlad's 77 and pra bringing up a story he heard where gold made the same play earlier in the tournament.
Old 09-21-2006, 01:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
betting 750 with K-high? guessing. i base that on gold bluffing with KT vs prahlad's 77 and pra bringing up a story he heard where gold made the same play earlier in the tournament.

[/ QUOTE ]

People here seem to say that Gold's reaction to Prahlad on that hand was his tell. But I just want more specifics.

When Prahlad told Gold the story, Gold said, "you got me" and "you read me perfectly" and basically acted like he was caught bluffing. Prahlad presumably thought Gold was strong but acting weak, while Gold was actually weak.

But was that his tell? That when he "acted" weak he was actually weak?
Old 09-21-2006, 03:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]

i remember watching the 88 wsop, i believe, and doyle was sitting inside the ropes while chan and seidel played. i guess when you're a world champ you can do whatever the [censored] you want.

[/ QUOTE ]

its been well established that the tourney, and certainly the feature table are run by espn, and not harrahs. if johnny wanted to sit on gold's lap i'm sure they would have allowed it.
Old 09-21-2006, 04:41 PM

OT - props to AC and all..........but that shirt?? there's a non-poker tell there somewhere.
surprisingly not even one post on that.
Old 09-21-2006, 05:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
So what exactly was Gold's "tell" that everyone here is talking about?

[/ QUOTE ]

I didn't mean to imply that it was super-obvious, because clearly it wasn't, and he did make some minor variations, but by the end of the final table (which I watched on PPV before any of the ESPN coverage that confirmed and magnified the tells) I was reading him 100% of the time when he talked.

Mainly, when he has a big hand he tells you about it truthfully ("I love my hand", "I definitely have diamonds, and probably have a king" (when a K made a nuts Broadway), "I have a big hand", "I got you", etc.).

When he's bluffing, he focuses on your hand and action ("If you have aces, you probably have to call", "if you have a king, you got me", "you don't want to bust on this hand", etc.). Btw, saying "I'll show you" means nothing, as he says that nealry every time, with both monsters and bluffs.

One time, when he was bluffing Binger on that QQQ98 board, someone from the crowd yelled "Good move, Jamie" and he muttered "it's not a move", but that's the only time I heard him even remotely lie about his current hand.
Old 09-21-2006, 05:39 PM

Default Re: \"Official\" WSOP ME Broadcast on ESPN thread (9/19) (27 to 9)

I didn't get that whole top/top; chop/chop thing.

IIRC, the other guy pushed into Gold on the flop. Gold said something to the effect of, "I wish you didn't do that. I have top/top." The other guy said "me too." So Gold called. But it turned out that Gold had the higher kicker.

Here's what I don't get. Gold says, "I told you I had top/top. Oh, did you think I said, 'chop/chop'? No, I said I had top/top, top pair, top kicker."

But how can the opponent possibly think Gold said, "chop/chop"? Gold said he had "top/top" and opponent said "me too."

If he thought Gold said "chop/chop," how is "me too" possibly a response to the statement "I have chop/chop."
Old 09-21-2006, 05:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
but by the end of the final table (which I watched on PPV before any of the ESPN coverage that confirmed and magnified the tells) I was reading him 100% of the time when he talked.

Mainly, when he has a big hand he tells you about it truthfully ("I love my hand", "I definitely have diamonds, and probably have a king" (when a K made a nuts Broadway), "I have a big hand", "I got you", etc.).

When he's bluffing, he focuses on your hand and action ("If you have aces, you probably have to call", "if you have a king, you got me", "you don't want to bust on this hand", etc.). Btw, saying "I'll show you" means nothing, as he says that nealry every time, with both monsters and bluffs.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yep, that's my recollection of the PPV. AC appeared to be the only one to pick up on it, though. AC made some nice calls (like the $2 million bluff by Gold on the river when AC had nothing but A high) and looked like he was taking control of the table. Then he called off a big chunk of his stack to Binger's all-in with QJ, which still baffles me, and never regained that momentum.