Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Medium Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-20-2006, 09:49 PM

Default Checked it down

Villain is very aggressive, and probably sees me as someone who doesn't slowplay.

Party Poker
No Limit Holdem Ring game
Blinds: $1/$2
6 players
Converter

Stack sizes:
UTG: $192.98
Hero: $184
CO: $329.50
Button: $300.89
SB: $98.61
BB: $203.75

Pre-flop: (6 players) Hero is UTG+1 with :ah :qs
UTG folds, [color=#cc0000]Hero raises to $8</font>, 2 folds, SB calls, BB folds.

Flop: :ts :kc :qh ($18, 2 players)
SB checks, Hero checks.

Turn: :7s ($18, 2 players)
SB checks, Hero checks.

River: :8d ($18, 2 players)
SB checks, Hero checks.

Results:
Final pot: $18

I think I should have made a small bet on the river, but who bets flop and turn here?
Old 09-20-2006, 10:29 PM

Default Re: Checked it down

Seems fine as there isn't much he can call with. After he sees how you played this I think you should be more ready to call him down, especially his river bets.
Old 09-20-2006, 10:40 PM

This is terrible.

Bet flop. If he calls, then you actually have a decision as to whether or not you want to bet the turn. On that board, I probably check...

If you decide to check the flop for some reason, bet the turn.

If you somehow decide to check what is clearly the best hand on the turn, even though your bet will get called by many many worse hands, bet the river. You have under-represented your hand so badly that I would call with any pair, and so will he.

You are losing all sorts of value here as you are essentially putting him on having one of the 3 Kings in the deck???? He clearly doesn't have a K after the turn check.

Or are you afraid he's going to make a move on you?? If so, you shouldn't even be playing at the same table with a guy like this cause he'll run all over you.
Old 09-20-2006, 11:05 PM

You have a lot to learn about poker before calling other people's play terrible.

It may be that betting the flop was the right play, but your reasoning ("You are losing all sorts of value here as you are essentially putting him on having one of the 3 Kings in the deck") is completely wrong. I checked both the flop and turn knowing that I was likely ahead.
Old 09-20-2006, 11:12 PM

Christ learn how to use a converter I vaguely remember other posts of yours that looked like this too.

Good to see you are trying to learn NL the real way instead of donkeystacking the 1k games.

It's hard to get much value out of this hand but I would definitely put in a bet on one street. That said it's not a big pot or anything you didn't make any massive mistake. Still, I think if I check the flop I will bet the turn when checked to and hope to get called by a worse T/Q or a straight draw or something else. Obviously I'd be really surprised if we don't have the best hand.

Gl
Old 09-20-2006, 11:15 PM

I was mainly talking about the river when I said there isn't much he can call you with. I would generally bet either the flop or turn, but not always. As you played it, I think you gave yourself a good opportunity to call a bet from an aggressive player on the river, but there doesn't seem to be much value and some risk in betting the river yourself.
Old 09-20-2006, 11:16 PM

I've been using neildewhurst but the converter f's up a lot, and I'm not sure why. Also I post as I play so I don't always notice.

Any more reliable converters out there?
Old 09-20-2006, 11:21 PM

Yeah I definitely would have called on the river.

I thought about betting turn but I was concerned he would semibluff raise and put me in an awkward situation.