Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > News, Views, and Gossip
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-20-2006, 03:24 PM

Default How much do looks play into a poker player\'s status?

Since I've been on a bit of a tirade lately about how overrated/underrated certain poker players are and how a variety of superficial, non-poker related things factor into those ratings, I thought I'd just do a separate post with the above stated question..."How much do looks play into a poker player's status?"

...do we think more highly of a player and ignore others due to their looks?

Personally, I think if Evelyn Ng, who apparently hasn't done much in poker at all, can have so much fame and marketing success, then someone like......SHAHA HIATT could be a multi-multi-multi billionaire if she simply played in a single tournament and cashed (or maybe not even cash). She could just live large off her marketing like some of these other overrated playas........

Just a thought. What do you all think?

-TheMan
Old 09-20-2006, 03:37 PM

Default Re: How much do looks play into a poker player\'s status?

Photogenic women are MUCH MORE MARKETABLE than men in the world of televised gambling "sports" entertainment.

The latest examples in the poker world: Vanessa Rousso and Erica Schoenberg, both of whom got financial backing, expert coaching (Rousso was coached by WSOP bracelet winner Steve Badger, Schoenberg was coached by David Benyamine who became her boyfriend), muscle from PR firms, and eventually sponsorship deals (over $1 million total over 3 years from MANSIONpoker.NET in the case of Schoenberg), which enabled them to play big buy-in tourneys without having to risk their own money.

Both Rousso and Schoenberg cashed at the 2006 WPT Championship and moved past journeywoman pro Stacy Matuson (who was left wondering what happened when she was left off the list of invitees for WPT Ladies Night IV) in the money standings in order to get their shots at WPT Ladies Night IV, one of only 2 televised poker tourneys left in the U.S. (the other being the WSOP Main Event now that the Harrah's/ESPN TOC will be on indefinite hiatus after 2006) that makes instant "TV Poker SuperStars" out of nobodies.

Another example: former Canadian model Monica Reeves, who is now a newly-minted "Tournament Blackjack Pro" after she got an endorsement deal from Excapsa Software/Loudvision, the company behind the UltimateBet.NET and Bet21.NET brands. Being the live-in girlfriend of Canadian poker pro and UltimateBet.NET endorser James "KrazyKanuck" Worth certainly helped Ms. Reeves get her start as a "Tournament Blackjack Pro".

--

Going back to 2003: Clonie Gowen and Evelyn Ng, both of whom were pretty much nobodies at the time, used their 1-2 finish at WPT Ladies Night I to propel them to their status as "TV Poker SuperStars". Both Gowen and Ng are still riding from the momentum generated from WPT Ladies Night I.

Old 09-20-2006, 05:05 PM

Lets face it. Next to hockey, poker is probably the next most unsightly bunch of players there are. 95% of players are men, and most of them middle aged and not too concerned about their appearance.

The fact that it is so male dominated, and the very few woman there are, there are so very few that can compete at the top levels.

Then factor in they want a good looking one and the pickings are slim. Getting a great model looks calibre / high calibre poker skill combination woman isnt out there...yet.

Things are changing though. Maybe soon we'll have a Danica Patrick or Sharapova of poker.

And when that one does come along..lookout....she will cash it in big.
Old 09-20-2006, 05:52 PM

Remember everyone here plays like Harrington and looks like Matthew McConaughey. But most poker players don't.

I like Erin Ness.