Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-20-2006, 04:28 PM

Default Post Flop situation that is throwing me off(leak)

Heres the situation, there is a PF limper and you raise....they flat call. Or it could even be one of the blinds that calls your raise, what is important here is that you are in position on them.

The flop comes, and they bet into you rather than waiting for your cbet.

I never know how to interpet this.

If it is a textured board, I.E there is a possible straight draw or flush draw, this brings another element into it.

But what if it is a nontextured board, if they were really that strong, wouldn't they wait for your cbet to check raise?

This move completely messes me up a lot.
Old 09-20-2006, 04:33 PM

Default Re: Post Flop situation that is throwing me off(leak)

I lead into PF raiser all the time for this very reason. Reason being if you c/r they will either fold and you get their c-bet, or they push (assuming I've made a very strong hand here which is what happens when I do this) and I sometimes stack them (not often enough though). If I lead they raise a lot in which case I get more $ from them if I had c/r and if they fold there is a good possibility that if I checked he would check behind. I love betting into PF raiser when I do things like flop a set/flush/flush+str8 draw/ etc...
Old 09-20-2006, 04:33 PM

If it's deep. There hand is usually a marginal hand that can be pushed off or a monster looking to be raised.
Old 09-20-2006, 04:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If it's deep. There hand is usually a marginal hand that can be pushed off or a monster looking to be raised.

[/ QUOTE ]

agreed. but relative stacksizes are very important here. more important than just being deep.
Old 09-20-2006, 05:15 PM

These situations are really opponenet dependent. Sophisticatd opponents do this with sets, draws, and sometimes air. Against them you have to mix in calls, raises, and folds (regardless of what you have).

Typical opponents do this with middle pair or top pair weak kicker. They think it is a cheap way of finding out where they are at (esp. w/middle pair). They figure if they get raised they are beat, and if you fold, good for them b/c they had the best hand. I like to call b/c then they don't know anything and you get more info. from them on the turn.
Old 09-20-2006, 05:43 PM

if i raised from an early position and have recently been playing tight, i will more likely raise with air, ie, the more strength i am capable of representing, i will.

if ive been stealing lots of pots and opened from the button, i will probably just muck the flop because my opponent is more likely to put me on a move. and of course this is kinda transparent and to be used in lower buy-in tourneys.
Old 09-20-2006, 06:01 PM

You need to post a specific hand. It could be so many things. It could be TP hoping to take it down right there. It could be a set hoping for a re-raise. It could be a straight/flush draw making a semi-bluff.

It is very dependant on your opponent and your image. If you fold a lot to these bets, then your opponents will do it more often.
Old 09-20-2006, 08:27 PM

This is roughly the hand I am regarding, as this is by memory about 3 hours later. 50+4 MTT about 90 people left of 200, blinds are 100/200 and I have 2500 in chips.

The player to my left was terrible, your typical calling station.

He's MP1 I'm MP2 w/ JJ and of course he limps into the pot. I raise to 600. folded all around and he calls. The board comes A 4 6 rainbow. He bets 400 into me. What do you do?

(Also this is another question I want to address. When you know that this calling station is going to call my preflop raise, is it still ok to raise to get everyone else out of the hand, or atleast know where you stand with them? This is a problem I face a lot as well.)
Old 09-20-2006, 09:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
And the weather tomorrow is sunny with cloudy periods and a chance of rain. [img]/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]

Seriously though, how about a guy with a good hand making a value bet? Is slowplaying a good hand into a raiser as automatic as a c-bet?
Old 09-20-2006, 10:01 PM

sounds to me like he limped a5o and hit his pair of aces
I doubt he'll fold to any bet here, your best option is to fold and curse the suckout