Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-20-2006, 02:39 PM

Default A-K vs. 4 bet

I think I made the right decision here, but what would you do here?....

Opponent is about 20/13, it's still early in a $20/180. I tripled up the first hand w/ A-A, and have been pretty active.

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t30 (8 handed) Hand History Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: 2+2 Forums)

MP1 (t1820)
MP2 (t600)
Hero (t6855)
Button (t1805)
SB (t1420)
BB (t1070)
UTG (t1015)
UTG+1 (t2005)

Preflop: Hero is CO with A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP1 raises to t90</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to t300</font>, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP1 raises to t930</font>

Final Pot: t1275
Old 09-20-2006, 03:32 PM

Default Re: A-K vs. 4 bet

I have been calling with AK lately when I have position, but it looks like you have been uber aggressive and wanted to stay that route, which isn't terrible. As for the hand, he just raised to 1/2 his stack. Calling and folding the 66% that you miss is bad and if you do hit you may still be crushed. I probably fold w/ that much action as it is usually QQ+/AK, so you could be flipping, splitting, or dominated. I think this is almost never a worse ace.
Old 09-20-2006, 03:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think this is almost never a worse ace.

[/ QUOTE ]

So he has AA?
Old 09-20-2006, 03:41 PM

You're getting better than 2 to 1 and you are surely behind. Just put him all in and hope that he doesn't have KK/AA.
Old 09-20-2006, 03:53 PM

I'd call here getting 2:1 and see the flop, and call a push which is very likely even if A or K hits. I think this way we wont have to fold preflop getting 2:1 and won't lose t900 or so if the flop didn't hit us. The hands that crush us would still crush us even if we made it all in preflop. The only problem is we will be folding to an unlikely AQs or AQ if we don't flop well.
Old 09-20-2006, 03:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

So he has AA?

[/ QUOTE ]

No, I said his likely range is QQ+/ AK and this is almost never a worse Ace. I almost never see anything worse than AK with this line, but it is usually QQ+, sometimes TT+ depending on the player. But most players just push w/out QQ+ in my experience.
Old 09-20-2006, 04:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'd call here getting 2:1 and see the flop, and call a push which is very likely even if A or K hits. I think this way we wont have to fold preflop getting 2:1 and won't lose t900 or so if the flop didn't hit us. The hands that crush us would still crush us even if we made it all in preflop. The only problem is we will be folding to an unlikely AQs or AQ if we don't flop well.

[/ QUOTE ]

First of all, I can assure you that AQs is not playing this way; if he is, he's a donkey, and if he's [censored]' playing AQ like that, he's probably calling with it too.

Just calling with AK here, I think, is a mistake. You miss 2/3rds of the time, if you hit an A or K, it's not going to matter if you get it all in preflop or on the flop; also, you get 5 cards instead of 3 and you are getting 2 to 1.
Old 09-20-2006, 04:09 PM

I just don't want to give a CDU when I am 90% sure he has QQ+ (more than likely AA or KK, even though it is unlikely due to the fact that we have one of each). I fold, give him my 300 instead of 1800 and make him earn those chips. Raising 1/2 your stack w/out pushing while giving good pot odds is usually a big tell for QQ+ IMO.
Old 09-20-2006, 04:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

So he has AA?

[/ QUOTE ]

No, I said his likely range is QQ+/ AK and this is almost never a worse Ace. I almost never see anything worse than AK with this line, but it is usually QQ+, sometimes TT+ depending on the player. But most players just push w/out QQ+ in my experience.

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh ok...that makes sense. I misinterpreted the true meaning.