Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-20-2006, 09:45 AM

Default Re: \"Official\" WSOP ME Broadcast on ESPN thread (9/19) (27 to 9)

Whenever Gold calculates pot odds, he is WAY OFF.

He said he was getting 3 to 1 on the 98hh call on the xxJT 3club turn vs KQ, but Technologic said here was it was closer to 2.5 to 1.2.

Prahlad on FTP last night said that on the A3/87o, he was getting 1.4 to 1, not 2 to 1.

edited to add that even if he was getting the pot odds he said he was, they were still terrible calls against any reasonable range. Another example is the Ad Qx insta-call to double up Friberg after his push for ~3 million more with one to come.
Old 09-20-2006, 10:14 AM

I'd hit it.

Old 09-20-2006, 10:24 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
For example in the hand where Prahlad pushes with A3, Gold makes a few comments while the guy with TT still hasn't acted.

[/ QUOTE ]

Absolutely! He said, before Prahlad pushed, "You know you've got your call."

Kevin still hadn't seen his hand and was yet to act, but had already heard Gold say that he was going to call (even Norm and Chad mentioned this!) This pretty much froze the action for him. He could have reraised all-in, but Prahlad had already push and Gold was indicating that he was calling.

Not sure what the chipstacks were, but who wants to risk it all with 10 10 against two players... tough spot.

[/ QUOTE ]
This made me el-oh-el.
Old 09-20-2006, 11:35 AM

Quick thoughts on the shows:

-Jamie Gold, I think more than the money, just wants people to tell him he's a great player. It was funny when Aarsonson mentioned how he was getting hit by the deck and he quickly says "but I'm playing good too...some people just get lucky, but I'm playing great too!" He's a guy who is on the biggest streak of his life but wants to believe its all skill. He probably hasn't played BAD, but not as well as he thinks. Of course anyone who wins a field that big is going to have gotten crazy lucky, as Kanter almost did last year. (So at least Gold is way ahead of Kanter!)

-Friberg is an awesome villain/heel/bad guy. They go with the "Swedish players are better than US players" thing to get you not to like him. And how about the awesome call with a pair of sixes on Force? And then pointing and saying in a Terminator-esque voice..."I want to see your hand." Next show will be about his downfall I'd guess.

-Why couldn't Binger have been eliminated before the FT? Just seems like a rock from his FT play, would have been nice to have somebody else in there.

-Glad they had a few hands Gold lost, or else it would have gotten really sickening.
Old 09-20-2006, 11:58 AM

Default Re: Prahlad\'s sunglasses

[ QUOTE ]
I don't see how it's definintely bad with Gold talking to players even with players to act. The last player has that much more info. The one case sounded like Gold had a good but not great hand - good info.

[/ QUOTE ]

I wish I could remember the name of the guy with Pocket 10s but in the hand that Gold limps with 8-7 and Prahlad pushes with A-3, say Gold says nothing and the guy with pocket 10s reraises all in, Gold still calls and flops that nut straight, now everyone else in the tournament has moved up 2 spots instead of just one. I'm not sure where the guy with pocket 10s placed, but it's those kinda ramifications that make table talking with players still left to act, pretty much a no no
Old 09-20-2006, 12:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i might've said this before, but i have a feeling that espn doesn't want the public to know that there are some asian people who speak without an accent or don't act (too) retarded on tv when playing poker.

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL
Old 09-20-2006, 12:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm not sure where the guy with pocket 10s placed, but it's those kinda ramifications that make table talking with players still left to act, pretty much a no no

[/ QUOTE ]

I think that was Wasicka, no?
Old 09-20-2006, 12:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
With Gold giving away so many tells it still amazes me that people are insisting on giving him their chips.

[/ QUOTE ]

I thought the same thing too. But, I have to admit, I don't know how much the pressure would get to oneself. Maybe you become antsy and want to do to much.

[/ QUOTE ]

Watching the bluff against PF and I also watched every minute of the final table it seemed so easy to see that he was bluffing. However, we have the benefit of seeing the cards and knowing exactly what he was doing before. Plus we don't have the same level of pressure in making the decision. Yes, it seemed really easy for Friedman to make the call, but I guess it wasn't if you were there.

That said, I think Friedman screwed up the hand big time. Why call the flop bet when he has an overpair to the board? Any card is going to be a potential scare card and Gold can so easily put you to the test on future streets for all of your chips without it meaning much to him at all. For these reasons Friedman needs to raise on the flop. The A on the turn was a scare card for both players, but it's not like Gold is playing only good hands. It shouldn't have been as much a scare card against Gold as it would have been against other players.
Old 09-20-2006, 12:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
For example in the hand where Prahlad pushes with A3, Gold makes a few comments while the guy with TT still hasn't acted.

[/ QUOTE ]

Absolutely! He said, before Prahlad pushed, "You know you've got your call."

Kevin still hadn't seen his hand and was yet to act, but had already heard Gold say that he was going to call (even Norm and Chad mentioned this!) This pretty much froze the action for him. He could have reraised all-in, but Prahlad had already push and Gold was indicating that he was calling.

Not sure what the chipstacks were, but who wants to risk it all with 10 10 against two players... tough spot.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree that he did effect the action, but I see this thing all the time. I don't think Gold did anything out of the ordinary here. I was very surprised that the TT guy did not call.
Old 09-20-2006, 12:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
-Friberg is an awesome villain/heel/bad guy. They go with the "Swedish players are better than US players" thing to get you not to like him. And how about the awesome call with a pair of sixes on Force? And then pointing and saying in a Terminator-esque voice..."I want to see your hand." Next show will be about his downfall I'd guess.

[/ QUOTE ]

i thought his 6s call was standard for a swede and maybe standard overall. it was good either way, but it seemed like the 600k on the end was small, or i might be remembering the action wrong. good villain for sure.

jamie gold: yikes. glad espn didn't shy away from showing what a lowlife this guy is. i think the stuff he was saying and doing was at the least unethical, and i'd have no problem at all with anyone saying he's cheating.

also surprising was richard lee's accent. i wasn't expecting a fob at all but didn't expect his accent to be that thick. im southern and you'd never guess it based on how i sound.