Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-20-2006, 04:41 AM

Default anxiety while playing poker

I get extremely anxious while playing poker. I am normally very laid back and calm, generally happy. But when I am playing poker I just get extremely anxious. Not in a good way that can be channeled into better focus, just like high generalized anxiety. I can feel it like a knot in my stomach. I imagine fear of losing causes it, but this is irrational since I have been a pretty consistent winner for a couple of years.

Does anyone else get this way? Has anyone found a way to handle the anxiety? I often drink while playing and this pretty much takes away the anxiety and as a result I play better. But for many reasons I would prefer not to have to drink to play without significant anxiety.
Old 09-20-2006, 08:38 AM

Default Re: anxiety while playing poker

Sounds to me like you're not natural gambler/risk taker. Try gambling on other things you might be good at, like pool or golf. Then you might get in the gambling frame of mind. After all, poker is just gambling.
Old 09-20-2006, 08:41 AM

Move down in limits.
Old 09-20-2006, 10:15 AM

Some good adviceabout lowering your limits. Ifyou don't have much if anything to lose then no need to be anxious about that-one thing eliminated. Most importantly, and I know this because I suffered from this for a long time-is to remember that pride is not a good thing to have when playing poker, or feeling the need to achieve. Cards are just that-cards, and anything can happen, that is just the way it is. I used to be anxious because I knew I did NOT know everything there is to know about poker. I still do not know everything, but I know more, and with added knowledge and experience the anxiety goes away. The felt is a battlefield, the players are enemy tanks taking shots at you-survive, and take the occasional shot to take someone out when you can. Anxiety will pass when you start to think of ways to beat your opponents versus thinking about your own weaknesses. I still get anxious when I sit down, and unless I have an ultra premium hand early I wait a bit before I jump in so I am more calm. Get out there and hit the felt, the more you do the less anxious you will feel. Just my 2 cents worth, call me a lunatic.
Old 09-20-2006, 12:00 PM

Yep. I get the exact same way. I'm probably in the minority here because I spend a lot more money on sports betting than I do on poker. I can't speak for anyone else but for me the anxiety has absolutely nothing to do with the amount I'm wagering. Hell, when I played sports in high school I would get so nervous beforehand that I would throw up before every game and there was no money involved in that at all. I've never put myself in a situation where losing a bet or a losing night of poker would put me in any kind of bind. I think what you touched on could be correct... fear of losing. I'm ridiculously competitive and the thought of putting my all into something and not coming out on top makes me very nervous. I think another thing that gets me worked up is the randomness of poker/sports betting. I don't care how good you are, there is still a TON of luck involved in both. Knowing that I don't ultimately control my own fate also makes me anxious. These are just the things that contribute to my anxiety. I don't know if that helps you or not. I just think a lot of people assume that whenever someone is nervous when they play it's because they're betting/playing above their means. I think a lot of times there are other factors at play.
Old 09-20-2006, 12:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm ridiculously competitive and the thought of putting my all into something and not coming out on top makes me very nervous. I think another thing that gets me worked up is the randomness of poker/sports betting. I don't care how good you are, there is still a TON of luck involved in both. Knowing that I don't ultimately control my own fate also makes me anxious.

[/ QUOTE ]

This pretty well characterizes the sources of my anxiety at poker. Losing a few tourneys won't make a dent financially, and through study and experience I feel I have an edge on most of my opponents, so I think causes mentioned elsewhere may not apply to me so much.

Have you found a way to reduce your anxiety while playing poker or sports betting?
Old 09-20-2006, 01:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I'm ridiculously competitive and the thought of putting my all into something and not coming out on top makes me very nervous. I think another thing that gets me worked up is the randomness of poker/sports betting. I don't care how good you are, there is still a TON of luck involved in both. Knowing that I don't ultimately control my own fate also makes me anxious.

[/ QUOTE ]

This pretty well characterizes the sources of my anxiety at poker. Losing a few tourneys won't make a dent financially, and through study and experience I feel I have an edge on most of my opponents, so I think causes mentioned elsewhere may not apply to me so much.

Have you found a way to reduce your anxiety while playing poker or sports betting?

[/ QUOTE ]

Unfortunately, I don't really have any good tips when it comes to reducing the anxiety. I don't play all that much poker. Usually when I play I'll play for between 1-2 hours, and that's $2/4 or $3/6 limit. And here's something I forgot to mention... the anxiety is there whether I'm winning or losing. It's not like it goes away if I start playing well. I've had rushes where I've quickly won a few hundred bucks in about 30-45 minutes, yet I'm still as anxious as when I first sat down.

With sports betting I just won't watch games I bet on. It's not the least bit enjoyable to watch a game if I have money on it. I know that's the opposite of how most people feel when they bet on sports, but I'm so competitive that I hang on every pitch/play and it just stresses me out more than anything. I do fairly well at both so it's not like I lack confidence when I play. I just get very wrapped up in it and it kind of takes the fun out of it.

I suppose the only advice I could give would be to play poker in moderation if you find it makes you anxious. Don't play all the time or else you'll wind up being miserable. I have the same problem as you, and the only reason I play poker is because I can make some money at it. It really has nothing to do with enjoyment. I think it can have an adverse effect on some people, both mentally and physically, if they play too much. It's been posted a thousand times on these boards, but I think it's important to concentrate on the important things in life like friends, family, girlfriends, etc. Have fun. Do the things that make you happy. If you're happy in the other aspects of your life I don't think the poker anxiety will wear on you too much. Good luck...
Old 09-21-2006, 04:00 AM

Well I played lights out tonight while drinking pretty heavy. Maybe I'm destined to be a poker playing drunk [img]/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]

I also thought of a good analogy. If you see a pretty girl at the supermarket, it's tough to work up the courage to talk to her. But at a bar after a few drinks it's not so hard. Here fear of rejection is in play. Probhably a similar fear to the fear of losing in poker.
Old 09-21-2006, 09:08 AM

Using booze to control anxiety in any form isn't usually a great long term plan for obvious reasons. Having said that, a glass or two whilst playing isn't so bad.

I think many people feel "anxiety" ie they get the increased heart rate and tension in a close situation for a big pot when your stack needs help. I think that's normal. If you rename it excitement it might feel different - sounds glib but it's true. I've come to the conclusion that over-excitement (it's the the new anxiety baby!) during average play is down to being too results oriented and willing fate, which is kind of the first thing anyway. If you find yourself willing no-one to call your semi bluff then you need to stop. either the raise was a good idea in that situation or it wasn't. You can't control the outcome, only the moves. Be happy with the moves not the outcomes. You hear pro players say this a lot - "I got bust out but I'm happy with my play. I called with the better hand".

In short think about what you are thinking about and try to either change it or reframe it. Don't treat the feelings as Anxiety as if it's some force outside of your control or that you are An Anxious Person.

One practical tip for stopping racing heart is to take a moderabig breath in, hold it and use your diaphragm to "force it into your heart/stomach area". Supposedly acts on the vagus nerve (maybe renamed as the Vegas nerve in this case).
Old 09-21-2006, 11:05 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Well I played lights out tonight while drinking pretty heavy. Maybe I'm destined to be a poker playing drunk [img]/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]

I also thought of a good analogy. If you see a pretty girl at the supermarket, it's tough to work up the courage to talk to her. But at a bar after a few drinks it's not so hard. Here fear of rejection is in play. Probhably a similar fear to the fear of losing in poker.

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh yeah, there is the alcohol thing too. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] I admit that does help me relax and takes the edge off but I didn't mention it because, personally, I play like crap when I've been drinking. Not only do I make way too many loose calls and play hands I shouldn't, I become more interested in socializing with everyone than I am in playing cards. But if a little alcohol helps you then more power to ya. I would recommend something like beer where you can pace yourself, not Goldschlager or Stoli. [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]