Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Medium Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-19-2006, 07:39 PM

Default AcQc checkraised on KcKd6c flop (20/40 live)

Live 20/40 holdem. I am not familiar to table and they don't know how I play.

Loose player limps UTG, I raise in 4th position with AQs, button calls, BB calls. Flop comes KK6 giving me a flush draw. Checked to me and I bet. BB checkraises.

Should I just call and call him down if I don't make a flush? Or should I 3-bet? If so, how do I follow up if the turn is a brick? Should I just jam this or call it down.
Old 09-19-2006, 07:43 PM

Location: Who wrote \'help I\'m a bug\' on my letter to grandma?
Default Re: AcQc checkraised on KcKd6c flop (20/40 live)

Unless he's a showdown monkey call and raise the turn. If he is just play straight forward.
Old 09-19-2006, 09:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Unless he's a showdown monkey call and raise the turn. If he is just play straight forward.

[/ QUOTE ]
Does this ever work with unknowns anymore? 5 years ago, it used to be an easy semibluff on the turn but I just started playing B&M again and it seems like nobody's willing to get bluffed anymore, which means they never fold a pair to an unknown HU.

At the very least I'd factor in the location when considering the likelihood my semibluff will work (CA = no chance, LV = maybe).
Old 09-19-2006, 09:54 PM

This was AC at the Taj.
Old 09-19-2006, 10:30 PM

I'd only 3-bet it if I were sure I'd get a free card. Since you said you know nothing about this opponent, you should probably treat him as average and use normal plays against him.

3-betting falls into the trickier side of normal usually IMO. I'd play hoping to hit one of my outs for improvement.

If he has a King then you have 8 outs to improve to beat him, so a call is definetly in order.

If he has a 6 or pocket pair then you have up to 14 outs, so it is no huge problem to go to river as an even money proposition.
Old 09-20-2006, 06:01 PM

I flat called the checkraise. The turn was a 4. Villain bet and I called. The river was a 6, making the board KK646, and it went check/check. Villain showed A7o for a chop.

I wondered if the checkraise was in response to a continuation bet on a flop I probably missed. Obviously, this was the case, as I almost certainly raised with an ace, king, or pp.

Obviously, I had to be somewhat concerned about trips if I played the hand aggressively. Also, if villain was making a move, I probably win with ace high. I was wondering if I should have played the hand more aggressively, and I probably would have if I had flush draw and over cards rather than the paired board.
Old 09-20-2006, 09:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I flat called the checkraise. The turn was a 4. Villain bet and I called. The river was a 6, making the board KK646, and it went check/check. Villain showed A7o for a chop.

I wondered if the checkraise was in response to a continuation bet on a flop I probably missed. Obviously, this was the case, as I almost certainly raised with an ace, king, or pp.

Obviously, I had to be somewhat concerned about trips if I played the hand aggressively. Also, if villain was making a move, I probably win with ace high. I was wondering if I should have played the hand more aggressively, and I probably would have if I had flush draw and over cards rather than the paired board.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, by not three-betting the flop/betting the turn I think you missed a chance to win the pot outright on the turn. I think villain's flop c/r makes it a lot less likely he has trips. Not impossible, but most loose, passive 20/40 players with a K are going to try for the turn c/r, and most loose aggressive players are going to limp-reraise your PF raise with any legitimate holding that has a K (AK, KK and much less likely, KQs). So the UTG limp/lack of LRR means you can discount many likely hands with a K. If he's bad enough to limp UTG with KQ, KJ, or KT, or something ugly like K4s, well...he's still probably going to wait until the turn to c/r.

So, given that action, I think his flop c/r gets his range down to four general holdings: small PP, flush draw, random hand wtih a 6, and air, in that order.

If you 3-bet his c/r, and he has a flush draw or air, you have him drawing to four or five outs (his non-flush pair outs, depending on whether his air has a club) if he calls.

If he has a PP smaller than 6's, you have 17 outs TWICE (8 live clubs, 6 A/Q outs, plus the 3 remaining 6's. You are a favorite.

If he has a small-to-medium PP, like 77, 88, or 99, you still have 12 outs twice.

If he has a random hand with a 6, you have 13 outs.

If he has 66, you're all-but-dead, but I think 66 waits for the turn to c/r.

So anyway, I would 3-bet this all day long, and only slow down if he capped the flop/lead the turn or c/r the turn.

In short: you had position on him, and I think you gave up the initiative too soon in this hand. You had a huge draw and the potential best hand w/o improvement; I would push this hard. If he has a K you will find out on the turn, and if he calls your turn bet and you don't improve you can always check behind on the river.
Old 09-20-2006, 09:37 PM

The checkraise with A7o came from the BB not UTG.

The UTG limper had won a big pot off me earlier calling my UTG raise with K6o and making trip 6s on the turn. I wasn't worried about raising his UTG limp, but he could have anything.

The BB called my raise with A7o, so could have called in the BB with pretty much any king. I assume most good players call from the BB in this situation with a loose raise. UTG loose player limps, 4th position unknown raises, button calls.

I think jamming the flop and betting/raising the turn would be better. In this case villain got a split, but if he has nothing, I usually win anyway. If he has a pair, he probably isn't going away.
Old 09-21-2006, 05:12 PM
 is offline

You played it fine. You got a worse hand to keep bluffing into you and he got lucky on the river to chop.
Old 09-21-2006, 05:15 PM

never fold here.