Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > STT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-19-2006, 06:46 PM

Default Re: Giving up small edges?

[ QUOTE ]
I posted this a few days ago and didn't get any responses so I don't know if what I'm asking is assinine or if the post was just lost in the shuffle. I was trying to figure out the ICM thing also and use it here. I don't know if it can be used after the flop or not. What I'm thinking here is whether I play this hand out or not I'm close to even $ev.(I think) So is there a better line that would allow me to take this down without a showdown or should I even let this 'small edge' go here? From my other post -

Though I'm using villians actual holding for calculations, I would assume he always has some pair and calls checkraise. So is this correct?-

(.476*.042)+(.523*.192)= .12 $ev Which is .01 better than folding. Did I figure this right? Thanks for everyone's help.

Raindust

[/ QUOTE ]

Im not sure if your calculation is right or not, but in reality you dont know what his hand is, you can only guess his range.

In the real world Im guessing his range is massive and you might be even with it or even slightly behind. By pushing, you dont need to be ahead of his range because he could fold and you take down a nice pot right there. This adds to your ev.

In order to calculate what the chip ev is, we'd need to know what his range is and what are the chances he folds if you push. This, by the way, is just calculating the chip ev, not the $ ev, so it gets more complicated from there. I dont want to do all that math, but your push looks ok to me.
Old 09-19-2006, 06:52 PM

No, I don't know for sure what his range is. I'm assuming probably top pair because of the pot bet. He probably pushes higher pair preflop. 2 pair+ is a possibility but I think he would play them a little slower. So maybe my calculations are wrong. I multiply his winning % times my $ev(according to ICM) and then add my winning % times my new $ev. Did I do this wrong?
Old 09-19-2006, 06:54 PM

i think 1/3 pot stab is all we can afford. i would not push the turn. i play at the 11's on party and shortstacks won't fold anything once they have called the flop.

most of the time i check fold the flop. (to the overbet)