Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Home Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-18-2006, 11:10 AM

Default Re: Settle a home poker game rule argument

[ QUOTE ]
The bettor does not have the right to see the hand that was mucked. Unless he thought some one was cheating, he can not ask to see the cards. I would advise against having a rule that everyone has to show at the show down. Its changes the game. Online poker has a funny setup regarding mucked hands so don't pay attention to online pokwe rsites regarding this rule.

[/ QUOTE ]
I am pretty confident that this is BAD info. A player does have the right to see another players hand at showdown. Although I would agree that not ALL hands should have to be shown.
I believe a previous poster about 'Robert's Rules' supports this.
Also, it is not ALWAYS about controling collusion or cheating, we use it more to see what kind of weak calls a player is making and how they play certain hands.
Old 09-18-2006, 12:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I've played a lot of online poker sites, and to the BEST of my knowledge:

ABSOLUTE POKER is the only site that shows all hands at showdown. Just click the "R" in the top left corner if the dude chooses to muck his losing hand and it will STILL be shown.

[/ QUOTE ]

Most sites, however, have the players hand in the hand history, which is very easy to retrieve.

-McGee
Old 09-18-2006, 02:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
The bettor does not have the right to see the hand that was mucked. Unless he thought some one was cheating, he can not ask to see the cards. I would advise against having a rule that everyone has to show at the show down. Its changes the game. Online poker has a funny setup regarding mucked hands so don't pay attention to online pokwe rsites regarding this rule.

[/ QUOTE ]
I am pretty confident that this is BAD info. A player does have the right to see another players hand at showdown. Although I would agree that not ALL hands should have to be shown.
Also, it is not ALWAYS about controling collusion or cheating, we use it more to see what kind of weak calls a player is making and how they play certain hands.

[/ QUOTE ]

Home games can have any rules they want.

I would not allow IWTSTH in my home game because MANY players believe that invoking this rule is equivalent to accusing someone of cheating. If anyone ever feels the need to accuse another player of cheating in a home game, then they should just not play in that game in the future.

Even if all the players at your game think that this rule is only designed to obtain information, why would you want a rule in place that makes bad players feel bad about their play?
Old 09-18-2006, 05:46 PM

If the player who keeps mucking his cards at showdown does not listen to you when you tell him to show his cards, pull out a pistol and calmly set it onto the poker table. this lets him know that you mean business. If this guy still insists on not showing his cards or you catch him cheating shoot off both of his thumbs so he cant look at his hole cards like a normal poker player would. this will teach him that you are boss and he is wrong.
Old 09-18-2006, 06:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
we use it more to see what kind of weak calls a player is making and how they play certain hands.

[/ QUOTE ]

That is not the purpose for the rule. The purpose of the rule is to protect against collusion.
Old 09-19-2006, 11:56 AM

the only player required to show his hand is the last aggressor.
Old 09-19-2006, 01:26 PM

The rule is clear:

Robert's Rules of Poker.

"Any seated player may request to see any and all active hands at the showdown. However, this is a privilege that may be revoked if abused."

It is an etiquette breach for the winner to ask for a losing hand to be shown. This is known as needling and is irritating for obvious reasons.

The only reasons for asking to see a losing hand are needling (by the winner), suspicion of cheating and getting a line on someone's play.

In my home game there is never any reason to ask for losing hands to be shown and it hasn't happened once in four years. I think that, while it is allowable infrequently, it is a real atmosphere killer in a home game.

Either show all hands at showdown or don't allow losing hands to ever be shown. I mean really, if two guys at your home game are capable of colluding and being successful at it, then they likely could beat you without collusion.

Don't you do background checks?
Old 09-19-2006, 06:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You should read the rules again I think. Asking to see a mucked hand or one about to be mucked is only used if you beleive someone is cheating. It can not be used simply to see what they had to get a read on them.