Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Legislation
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-15-2006, 09:56 PM

Default Senator from ND in favor of online gambling

Is this old news

http://www.kxma.com/getARticle.asp?ArticleId=45129

Im moving to North Dakota
Old 09-16-2006, 06:49 AM

Default Re: Senator from ND in favor of online gambling

go vols.
Old 09-16-2006, 06:52 AM

that guy is awesome. It would be huge for the state to have all the sites setup shop there.
Old 09-16-2006, 10:58 AM

This is interesting news. Would this bill have a snowball's chance in hell of passing the North Dakota legislature? If so, would not a concerted lobbying effort be worthwhile? If a national prohibition is passed, how would that conflict with an individual states' laws allowing internet gambling? I guess my question to anyone is whether a concerted effort in a small state is a good opportunity for poker proponents.
Old 09-18-2006, 05:13 PM

I live in Pennsylvania but emailed Mr. Kasper a while back asking where to send a contribution and got an actual return call from this man. I think he is a person worth supporting. Turns out that N Dakota only has legislators in session every other year; so this year, they are not in session and work their regular jobs (what a great system). He is planning on introducing legislation in 2007. I asked him how we could help in his efforts besides contacting our senators and representatives (and perthaps sending him contributions). He said he would also like poker players throughout the country to collect and provide to him contact info on folks from every area that run the local poker tournaments - the ones that bars and such have where they don't profit from the poker but instead bring in customers and perhaps sell more drinks. He can then be in touch with these folks (and through them communicate with more poker players). It might help if lots of us got involved in helping with his efforts. I also offered to go to N. Dakota and do whatever I can to help when he actually introduces the bill.
Old 09-18-2006, 10:13 PM

Post title is misleading; here I had thought Sen. Conrad, a major player in the US Senate's defense authorization, had come down on our side. Jim Kaspar is a representative in the state House.

Rep. Kaspar's bill was introduced last session and was crushed, with big backlash from his fellow Republicans and constituents and newspapers all over the stae. I expect that it will fail again if he introduces it in 2007.

FWIW, I thought it was a brilliant idea and told him so.
Old 09-18-2006, 10:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Post title is misleading; here I had thought Sen. Conrad, a major player in the US Senate's defense authorization, had come down on our side. Jim Kaspar is a representative in the state House.

Rep. Kaspar's bill was introduced last session and was crushed, with big backlash from his fellow Republicans and constituents and newspapers all over the stae. I expect that it will fail again if he introduces it in 2007.

FWIW, I thought it was a brilliant idea and told him so.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, this guy really isn't influential on a national level. None of the big guns will openly take our side for fear of political reprisals until third-parties come out with studies they can rally behind.

So we have to rely on stealth tactics to buy time while the AGA and other reputable sources commission those studies.