Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-18-2006, 01:00 PM

Default 2/4 B&M, flopped trips / weak kicker - I am a calling station

2/4 B&M, 10 players, loose & passive table (6/7+ to flop); very little preflop raising by other players, they will not preflop raise their premium hands (I've seen button limp with QQ twice as well as AKs, others limp with AA, KK, etc.)

PreFlop: Hero in SB with Q [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 6 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
6 calls, Hero completes, BB checks

Flop: (7 players, 7 SB) Q [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] Q [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] J [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
Hero checks, checked to Button who bets, Hero and 3 others call

Turn: (5 players, 6 BB) K [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
Hero checks, checked to Button who bets, Hero and 2 others call

River: (4 players, 10 BB) 7 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
Hero checks, checked to Button who bets, Hero calls, ...

I realized after playing this hand that I called every single street, am I a calling station or what? Preflop I complete cuz I'm getting 13:1 and it is unlikely BB will raise, ok? Flop I don't want to bet into 6 players cuz I'm afraid of my weak kicker; should I have raised (but OESD would be getting 5:1 if I had)? Turn I'm hoping the K and J on board replace my kicker but I could be drawing dead at this point; should I have raised (OESD would still be getting 4.5:1)? No straight or flush on river, I'd be happy just to halve this pot with Button. Is this weak or what?

GcluelessnoobG
Old 09-18-2006, 01:08 PM

Default Re: 2/4 B&M, flopped trips / weak kicker - I am a calling station

Fold preflop, the only flops that are any good to you are flopped trips or two pair.

Given that, Lead the flop, Lead the turn, Lead the River, unless raised at any point, then you might need to reconsider that you're outkicked. You're not going to be able to force any reasonable draws to call incorrectly, so you're just going to have to bet for value. There are only a few hands that have you beat, but tons of hands you have beaten that will call you down. Just bet.
Old 09-18-2006, 04:35 PM

Bet the flop.
Old 09-18-2006, 05:52 PM

Gotta bet this flop! What better than top trips were you hoping for when you "completed," pre-flop? Quads? [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
A bet will improve your chances of winning, plus you have huge pot equity on the flop. If raised, 3-bet flop.

bill c
Old 09-18-2006, 06:04 PM

Fold PF. You are getting big odds, but your hand just won't win often enough with so many people in the hand, you will be OOP for the whole hand and even if you hit a flop you like, it will be hard to get away from if you encounter significant action. I usually bet out, but if you decide to check, you must raise button's bet. I mean you have trips did you automatically think you were behind to a bigger queen or jacks full?
Old 09-18-2006, 06:06 PM

I guess I should have bet the flop and called a raise. But then what's the plan on the turn K? Still fire away and then just call down if raised again by the Button?

P.S. What are the opinions on the preflop complete, too loose?

GcluelessnoobG