Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Omaha High
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-17-2006, 05:09 PM

Default How to play this? (PLO 200)

The reason I'm posting this one is because I wasn't getting a lot of action at this table after having a pretty nice run prior to this hand. The table had tightened up, and my raise gets only 2 callers. I have my overpair as well as a piece of the flop, so I bet.

When I get mini-raised, what is definitely true is that this is by no means any kind of strong hand. But this guy is kind of semi-LAG-ish, and I just don't think he's super-strong. I guess my general question is the best approach in short-handed situations like this with kind of a semi-tight table and a strong image. It's pretty obvious that villain puts me on no more than an overpair, and indeed, after making a few big scores, I've been taking down some small pots with just semi-decent holdings.

Anyhow, I've been doing very well this month at action tables. I decided to stick around at this one after it tightened up just to see if I could continue to make progress--and prior to this hand I was.

Is this just an auto-fold to the initial mini-raise in this kind of situation? If not, do you let it go on the turn (where my read was accurate that I was ahead, but then I got sucked out on a 6-outer)? Admittedly, I could have also been WAY behind to JJ (which I just didn't think he had) or pretty far behind to any set.

Poker Stars
Pot Limit Omaha Ring game
Blinds: $1/$2
8 players
Converter

Stack sizes:
UTG: $193.30
UTG+1: $200
MP1: $52.70
MP2: $45.90
CO: $52.60
Hero: $540.90
SB: $391.15
BB: $5.25

Pre-flop: (8 players) Hero is Button with AcAdQsJs
UTG calls $2 (pot was $3), 2 folds, MP2 calls $2 (pot was $5), CO folds, Hero raises to $6, 2 folds, UTG calls $4 (pot was $13), MP2 calls $4 (pot was $17).

Flop: 6cJh4h ($21, 3 players)
UTG checks, MP2 checks, Hero bets $19.95, UTG raises to $39.9, MP2 folds, Hero calls $19.95 (pot was $80.85).

Turn: Qd($100.8, 2 players)
UTG bets $97.8, Hero raises to $391.2, UTG calls all-in $49.6.
Uncalled bets: $243.8 returned to Hero.

River: Kd($395.6, 1 player + 1 all-in - Main pot: $395.6)

Results:
Final pot: $395.6

Villain has KsKc6h4s for bottom 2 on flop and turn but rivers top set and drags.

I guess I should also add that my current strategy has been basically to determine if it's what I call an "action game" or not. If so, I play very TAG. If not, I'll bet a lot with 8-outers, TP with outs to top 2, overpairs on boards that aren't that bad, etc.

So, I guess to re-phrase my question: When you're playing a little looser, do you just auto-fold on these kinda-sorta hands even to a mini-raise from an opponent who's also going to take the occasional pot-shot at you?
Old 09-17-2006, 06:30 PM

Default Re: How to play this? (PLO 200)

I would never call the minraise here. Reraise or fold.
Old 09-18-2006, 10:09 AM

I'd often call the flop like this, I think reraising is spewing but it's too cheap to fold just yet.
Old 09-18-2006, 10:11 AM

If you think he's likely to be weak (as you did) then I play it as you did, otherwise I find it really hard to fold this turn but I try anyway.
Old 09-18-2006, 02:46 PM

Thanks to both of you for your analyses. I'm really more with RT with regard to 3-betting the flop. I just don't think it's enough hand to play for a full stack at that point.

Also happy to hear that my turn play wasn't just completely idiotic.

I guess my provisional conclusion is this: Against a credible opponent, probably at least think about folding the flop (it should be JJ on that board) and definitely fold the turn.

Against this guy, my read was accurate. I had some hand on the flop and was ahead on the turn, when the rest went in. While top 2 on the turn to action is in my view not a lot of hand to pursue normally for that much money (even in a 3-way pot), I think it also has at least SOME meta-game aspects against players like this--i.e. "You better be serious about your hand before pushing that many chips in. I'll have more than AA if I play for stack, and I'm unlikely to back down."