Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Tax-based federal income needs to...
Decrease (I wants my monies!) 44 69.84%
Increase (I'm a pinko fuckwit) 13 20.63%
Leave it the way it is (I'm a pussy) 6 9.52%
Voters: 63. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-15-2006, 11:00 PM

Default Re: Defending the NL Championship...(Go \'Stros Thread)

the astros are CLUTCH. they know how to WIN.
Old 09-16-2006, 06:34 PM

Now is the perfect time to bet the Astros to win the WS, when everyone else thinks they won't. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 09-17-2006, 04:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
So, if I don't love series involving 2 mediocre NL Central teams with no division championship hopes from mid/small markets I don't like baseball?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, I would say that if you don't want to watch 2 of the top 10 or so NL SPs this year in the first game of a series that goes a long way to determining which team makes the playoffs just because they are in mid/small markets, you don't really like baseball (or are employed by ESPN).

Have fun watching the Sox & Yanks 100 times a year. I bet you are a big fan of the DH too.

jvs

[/ QUOTE ]
Wow, I think you completely missed the point. And, there's no way Harang is a top ten starter. Top twenty, maybe in the league.

I don't think either the Reds or the Astros will make the playoffs. I don't think either will come particularly close, either. I really don't think this series is important, amazing, incredible, or exciting. I must hate baseball.

[/ QUOTE ]

Pitching in one of the top offensive parks in the NL, Harang is 14th in ERA, t4th in Wins, 16th in WHIP & 2nd in strikeouts. It's somewhat misleading because so many guys are hurt this year, but Harang is right around the 10th best NL starter based on performance this year.

I'll give you 5-1 that either the Reds or Astros are within 5 games of the playoffs this year. 5 games seems fair for "not particularly close". Deal?

[/ QUOTE ]
5 games is "not close at all." Make it something like two or three games out and I'll take action on it.

[/ QUOTE ]
Bump. Wish this would have happened. [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] 4.5 back. Good run though, it would have been fun to see the Reds in there.
Old 09-18-2006, 12:23 AM

Quite disappointing what has happened with the Stros this month.

However, I still maintain that all the people on this forum writing them off in June & July were way off base. That is just way too early to write a team off. expecially a team with a history of excellent finishing runs. Heck, just a few weeks ago the Astros were just 2.5 games back of the wildcard. They underachieved but it was right there for the taking.

At least the Stros still have a chance to finish above the Reds so I still might win my bet with Clarkmeister. I was exactly right about the Reds by the way, even when they were overachieving and everyone was trumpeting them as a playoff team. I said their pitching would likely hurt them down the stretch and it did.

Hopefully we will get some nice things done in the offseason. Sign Carlos Lee, bring Pettite back for a reduced salary, sign another decent starter to replace Clemens. With these additions and a full season of Luke Scott, no reason the Astros can't be back in the playoffs next year.
Old 09-18-2006, 12:59 AM

Indeed, the Red's pitching hurt them down the stretch. The fact that they've scored 58 runs in their last 21 games (2.75/game) has nothing to do with it. The offense has totally mailed it in, it's quite embarassing.

jvs
Old 09-18-2006, 06:44 AM

this thread makes me [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
Old 09-18-2006, 04:01 PM

i think the astros are officially cooked... its a shame cus if they made the playoffs they would most likely go to the world series
Old 09-18-2006, 04:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i think the astros are officially cooked... its a shame cus if they made the playoffs they would most likely go to the world series

[/ QUOTE ]
Because bad teams are favored over better teams in the playoffs? [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
Old 09-18-2006, 04:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This is a joke right?
Old 09-18-2006, 05:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
However, I still maintain that all the people on this forum writing them off in June & July were way off base.

[/ QUOTE ]

WTF??? We weren't way off base, we were exactly right. Shut up and go away now plz.