Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-17-2006, 01:34 AM

Default The folly of intimidation

Today I sat in a shorthanded must-move game at stakes that have the capacity to hurt. I felt I was a better player than 2 of my 3 oppponents, but all of them were more comfortable at these stakes than I was. After about an hour I was down about 1.5 racks, certainly reasonable for the aggression level in the game, but all I kept thinking was that they were taking advantage of me, pushing me around, etc. At least I had the good sense to rack up and get the hell out of there.

I sat down in a lower-stakes game, still smarting badly. Really I should have taken a break but I trusted myself in this game to play well. I get involved in a pot with an opponent I've played many times before. I am more comfortable at these stakes than he is. On the turn I raised him with almost certainly the best hand, and he starts muttering about being prey and the predator smelling his weakness (referring to me). If only he knew!
Old 09-17-2006, 09:21 PM

Default Re: The folly of intimidation

From all logical points of view, it doesn't seem like confidence should matter all that much in poker. I mean, you can make good plays all the while expecting to get rivered, right? But my experience disagrees with my rationality and I seem to lose whenever I expect to lose.

-DeathDonkey