Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-15-2006, 06:31 PM

Default Maybe I just suck?

First, I wasn't really sure where to put this post. As it's not really strategy, I didn't think it belonged in any of those forums, and since I'm not really interested in "YSSKY" and "fold pre-flop" replies, BBV was out. Based on the content, I thought either here or Probability, but if this belongs somewhere else, feel free to move it.

A few days ago, I was curious about my "career," so I pulled up all of the LHE hands I have in my database - just under 307,000. I'm not really sure what the breakdown is with regards to full-ring vs. short-handed, but it's probably about 50/50, but that's just a guess. Ranging from .25/.50 to 30/60, I have a lifetime winrate of about .9BB/100. Then I looked at the other stats, and my showdown stats seemed pretty appalling: 33wtsd/53w$sd. I've always been pretty nitty about getting to showdown, but these days, I'm probably closer to ~35wtsd, but I digress.

I'm not really sure what conclusion to take from the showdown stats, but I think there are three obvious ones: 1) I flat out suck at choosing when to go to showdown; 2) I just run that damn poorly... even over 300+k hands; 3) a combination of both.

I've been considering making this post (or a similiar one) for a while, but I guess I chose now because I have some tangible evidence of how things have gone, and the fact that I'm just getting tired of this. Poker isn't fun anymore. Reading about people who have run white-hot for their entire career isn't fun anymore. To be clear, I don't wish them any ill-will; God knows I'd love to be in that position. But, I'm not. And more to the point, maybe I never will be.

I've done some coaching, and both coaches said I was "pretty solid," so I guess I'm just at a loss and needed to vent a bit. I know there are flaws with my game; I know there are many flaws with my game. I just didn't know how to articulate them well enough to get the max from the coaching I've done. Unfortunately, I'm still not entirely sure, but it's something for me to ponder. Regardless, I think it's fairly safe that most of my flaws aren't necessarily glaring, and hopefully not serious enough to explain such poor results.

This incoherent ramble is long enough. If anyone wants to respond, feel free, but I guess ultimately, I just needed to say it.

Thanks,
Steve
Old 09-15-2006, 10:32 PM

Default Re: Maybe I just suck?

I just re-read this, and thought I should clarify: I realize winning ~1BB/100 is nothing to sneeze at. Mostly, I was just trying to rationalize (what seems like) showdown stats indicitive of a possible poor run... over 300k+ hands, and how debilitating the variance can be.

I hope I didn't offend anyone, and I certainly wasn't trying to make light of said winrate.
Old 09-15-2006, 11:35 PM

33/53 showdown isn't out of the ordinary at all.
32-35/52-55 seems like a standard range for a tag.
Old 09-16-2006, 09:37 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I have a lifetime winrate of about .9BB/100.

[/ QUOTE ]

In other words, you're way better than an average player, especially considering the amount of hands you've played. You definately don't suck, you just might not have what it takes to become a pro.
Old 09-16-2006, 03:15 PM

Post stats and maybe we can point out leaks to work on.

You are pretty solid. But obviously you want more. so get to work.
Old 09-17-2006, 03:59 AM

if poker isn't fun anymore you have to try to rationalize hobby/job. i guess i am trying to say that you win money. you don't like it. job? so either get a new job/hobby that you like and create money from or just keep going.
Old 09-17-2006, 04:24 PM

Hi Steve, I'm the same way. I don't have any advice for you though. Played 4-500k hands lifetime, I am a 1 bb winner. Poker isn't fun and it hasn't turned me into a baller. I'm probably just not cut out to be a poker player.