Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Home Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-17-2006, 04:00 PM

Default cash games

In the past, my friends and I have only played tournaments at our home games. We are now trying to introduce cash games.

I think that on days when we don't have much people and are playing with scared fish, they might just win a big hand or two then leave immediately. Is there a way to prevent this? We would only play low stakes, like .50/1 NL or 1/2NL and part of the reason would be to have fun, so it wouldn't be cool if people just left.
Old 09-17-2006, 04:07 PM

Default Re: cash games

[ QUOTE ]
We would only play low stakes, like .50/1 NL or 1/2NL and part of the reason would be to have fun, so it wouldn't be cool if people just left.

[/ QUOTE ]

This to me says that your not playing low enough stakes. We have a rule where you must announce either at the beginning of the night if you are going to leave early or must state 1 hour before. This prevents the people from just getting up and leaving.
Old 09-17-2006, 04:14 PM

We did think about a time like that, but weren't sure what would happen from it. I think we will probably try that. and I guess you can disreguard 1/2 NL, because I think that that would only be played by the more serious players.
Old 09-17-2006, 04:31 PM

What are the buy-in of your tournaments? If you are playing $100 buy-in tournaments, then your players might be fine with 1/2 NL. But if you are only player $20 buy-in tourneys, I would go with .25/.50 NL at the most, probably something more like .10/.20 NL.
Old 09-17-2006, 04:50 PM

I agree with the statement above. We usually play $25 buy-in tournaments followed by a cash game. We settled on .25/.25 NL.

I think you might be over estimating the chances that people will actually do that. We don't have any rules and it hasn't been a problem.
Old 09-17-2006, 05:02 PM

We play anywhere from $20 rebuys to $100 freezeouts.

thanks for the responses, next weekend we will try it out.
Old 09-17-2006, 10:12 PM

Then I would try .25/.50NL that way you get 2 buyins for the "norm" if you want and for those that think 100 is too much they can buy in from 25+ without it being too much of a problem.
Old 09-17-2006, 11:38 PM

Establish a rule, no cashouts until x time. Or lower the stakes. Or if you leave, then you cannot sit in the game until 1 hour later (unless you go back in with the stack you left with).