Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-16-2006, 04:31 PM

Default Re: \"Jerry Falwell is more dangerous to America than Osama Bin Laden\"

I don't think we should live our lives afraid of terrorism. But you're making it seem like 911 was a minor event that didn't warrant the current war on terror, that because you didnt personally know anyone who died in 9-11, terrorism isn't a major threat to our country. Am I worried that a terrorist is going to strike the bank that I use? Of course not. But am I worried about the people who proclaimed war on our country and will stop at nothing to destroy our way of life? Am I fearful of what they are and what they represent? Of course I am. Thankfully I'm more confident that they won't succeed than I am fearful they will.
Old 09-16-2006, 04:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Iraqi Insurgents have killed 2,600 americans so far (that we know of), Osama, 2,990.

[/ QUOTE ]

The friends I've lost in Iraq, to include my senior scout who died in my arms following an IED blast 3 years ago, died fighting the insurgency. President Bush didn't plant that IED; a piece of [censored] Iraqi insurgent did.

[ QUOTE ]
anyone who thinks that some guy half way around the globe is a greater threat to average americans than US corporate interests (WAR), lead by GWB has been doing an excellent job listening to what they are told by the corporate media.

You are not in danger from arab nationalism, the real threat is to american business interests in the middle east. That is why the media is so keen to vilify islam.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sounds like you believe America causes Terrorism. Suppose we remove all business interests from the Middle East and completely disengage diplomatically and economically, we become safer, right? The summation of this mentality is that all we need to do to ensure our safety is not to piss off Islamic Jihadist Terrorists. This appeasement line of thinking is a recipe for disaster and more dead Americans. If you can explain how it's possible to reason with a group of people who's starting point is killing every American, please enlighten me.

Islamic Jihadist Terrorists cause terrorism, not America, business interests or otherwise.
Old 09-16-2006, 05:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't think we should live our lives afraid of terrorism. But you're making it seem like 911 was a minor event that didn't warrant the current war on terror, that because you didnt personally know anyone who died in 9-11, terrorism isn't a major threat to our country. Am I worried that a terrorist is going to strike the bank that I use? Of course not. But am I worried about the people who proclaimed war on our country and will stop at nothing to destroy our way of life? Am I fearful of what they are and what they represent? Of course I am. Thankfully I'm more confident that they won't succeed than I am fearful they will.

[/ QUOTE ]
Of course it wasn't a minor event.
Old 09-16-2006, 06:35 PM

Does anyone have a link to a video or transcript of this exchange? (Transcripts of "Tucker" won't be available until Monday.)

I listen to Sam Seder almost every evening on The Majority Report and I'm guessing you've misrepresented or simplified his arguments a tad, though I could be wrong.
Old 09-16-2006, 10:43 PM

Hey 'big daddy' why do you try to twist everyone's words to fit your own ideas? thats not what I said...stop replying to my posts that way, this isn't the rush limbaugh show.

"Islamic Jihadist Terrorists" is the latest way for the media to say 'nationalistic arabs'.
Old 09-17-2006, 05:23 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Falwell is more dangerous because he is actually in america and lots of wackos (in the US) believe that god actually talks through him

what would happen in america if Jerry Fallwell had his way? Civil rights would be replaced with biblical law.

Big daddy, despite what you've heard on right wing radio, the left is not some monolithic being. Its funny how all you listeners have the same opinion of issues...You need to do more thinking and less listening.

Kickabuck...so you think its good to get gouged for gas 22 months out of every 24? Do you STILL support the occupation of Iraq?

[/ QUOTE ]

How is it you characterize recent gas prices as gouging? If there was an iota of evidence for this the political opposition in the U.S. would have a field day. Unless you show me otherwise(please do), gas prices are a commodity subject to market forces like any other.

I was extremely wary of the '03 invasion and was never among the voices(of which there were many on both sides of the aisle) that said we should have finished the job in '91(today's resultant mess being the reason). I did however believe that nukes in the hands of Saddam(I never considered chemical weapons to be worthy of invasion) would be quite dangerous given his history and the region. Mostly on this basis I reluctantly supported the '03 war. As of the present, I like many see mostly bad options , and given my limited understanding of the political dynamic and of the various religious and tribal relations in that area, am clueless as to how to proceed.
Old 09-17-2006, 03:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Sounds like you believe America causes Terrorism. Suppose we remove all business interests from the Middle East and completely disengage diplomatically and economically, we become safer, right? The summation of this mentality is that all we need to do to ensure our safety is not to piss off Islamic Jihadist Terrorists. This appeasement line of thinking is a recipe for disaster and more dead Americans. If you can explain how it's possible to reason with a group of people who's starting point is killing every American, please enlighten me.

Islamic Jihadist Terrorists cause terrorism, not America, business interests or otherwise.

[/ QUOTE ]

Look at post-WWI history of how America and European governments used interventionalist policies towards Arab governments and populations and look at the transcripts of Osama Bin Laden and other terrorists' speeches in the middle east and then tell me that America doesn't cause terrorism.
Old 09-17-2006, 03:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
How is it you characterize recent gas prices as gouging? If there was an iota of evidence for this the political opposition in the U.S. would have a field day. Unless you show me otherwise(please do), gas prices are a commodity subject to market forces like any other.

[/ QUOTE ]
Well just one way that oil prices are not subject to market forces is that the government subsidizes the prices. In other words for every barrel of oil that comes into America it pays part of the cost. That cost comes out of our pockets.
Old 09-17-2006, 04:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Look at post-WWI history of how America and European governments used interventionalist policies towards Arab governments and populations and look at the transcripts of Osama Bin Laden and other terrorists' speeches in the middle east and then tell me that America doesn't cause terrorism.

[/ QUOTE ]
To be fair, if you're going to go the route that "America causes terrorism" (which, to be honest, I think is on the right track), you have to include the other European powers that had their hand in the matter too, England and France in particular.
Old 09-17-2006, 04:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I think your invitation to join the CFR has just been revoked.