FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-16-2006, 03:17 AM

Default Re: Considering a move to SF

I live in Noe Valley. Word.
Old 09-16-2006, 03:24 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Ok, well the short list I have been working on so far consists of:

<font color="green">Cost </font> <font color="green"> </font> <font color="red">Like </font> <font color="blue"> Area</font>

$$$...??..Marina
$$$...Y?..Pacific Heights
$$.....YY..North Beach
$.......Y?..Russian Hill
$......Y?..Telegraph Hill
$.......Y?..Nob Hill
$$.....YY..SoMa
$$.....YY..South Beach
$.......?...Potrero
........?...Mission
........?...Castro

MUST HAVE VIEW: city / bridge / bay / ocean
Vaulted ceilings
2+bed, 2bath

[/ QUOTE ]

Based on your style standards South Beach and the Potrero look to be the areas in which you might focus.

Of course, if you wind up with kids in the coming years you'll be moving back out to Pleasant Hill at a tax rate several times what you're tapped for now.
Old 09-16-2006, 07:28 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Ok, well the short list I have been working on so far consists of:

<font color="green">Cost </font> <font color="green"> </font> <font color="red">Like </font> <font color="blue"> Area</font>

$$$...??..Marina
$$$...Y?..Pacific Heights
$$.....YY..North Beach
$.......Y?..Russian Hill
$......Y?..Telegraph Hill
$.......Y?..Nob Hill
$$.....YY..SoMa
$$.....YY..South Beach
$.......?...Potrero
........?...Mission
........?...Castro

MUST HAVE VIEW: city / bridge / bay / ocean
Vaulted ceilings
2+bed, 2bath

[/ QUOTE ]

Based on your style standards South Beach and the Potrero look to be the areas in which you might focus.

Of course, if you wind up with kids in the coming years you'll be moving back out to Pleasant Hill at a tax rate several times what you're tapped for now.

[/ QUOTE ]

Potrero is San Francisco's equivalent of Astoria. It's perpetually the next cool neighborhood that never quite makes it.
Old 09-16-2006, 10:09 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Nob Hill here.

Owning a car here would be a bad idea. As for the weather, it's nice. Not hot, but nice. The fog is more of a Richmond/Sunset thing, so don't listen to the weather whiners.

[/ QUOTE ]

Disagree on the car, if you have off strett parking its fine. I use the car to get out of the city for golf a lot and without one it would be much tougher.
Old 09-16-2006, 10:40 AM

i'm interviewing for a job in SF the first week in october, but since i'm 24, only a year out of college, i'll probably start another thread for living suggestions. IF the interview goes well of course.

BTW, i found this map pretty useful trying to figure out what you guys are talking about.

Old 09-16-2006, 11:48 AM

Based on your criteria, I'd look at Potrero. It's relatively affordable by SF standards, you can generally find street parking and it has views available. By no means a kicking neighbourhood itself, but close enough to SOMA/Mission which definitely are.
Old 09-16-2006, 01:00 PM

It sounds like Potrero Hill would be great for you. I lived there for 2 years before moving to SoMa. There's street parking, a lot of modern construction places, good freeway access, good views and the best weather in the city. It's also cheaper than many other neighborhoods. The downside is that there's not much going on in terms of nightlife -- you have to head to another part of town. You *really* need to get out of Pleasant Hill.
Old 09-16-2006, 09:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm not even going to address the idea that someone concerned about a far left municipal government should live in Berkeley instead of San Francisco.

[/ QUOTE ]

This got an LOL from me [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
Old 09-16-2006, 10:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I was thinking much more central. Isn't there a lot of redevelopment going on around the Tenderloin? Or is it still likely to remain pretty seedy?

[/ QUOTE ]

Still very seedy.
Old 09-17-2006, 04:49 PM

I've lived in SF for about 8 years now. When I first moved here, I rented in the Richmond district. Kind of a bustly neighborhood, lots to do on Clement St, weather was meh, no views really, unless you live in the outer Richmond, near the beach. Golden Gate Park is near and nice, though. Driving to/from the city, is a bit of a chore, since you'll almost always have to drive through the Sunset on 19th Ave.

Next, I lived in Noe Valley, which I really enjoyed. Sunnier than the Richmond, lots to do on 24th St, not as bustly, but watch out for the strollers and the dog poo. The Mission is very accessible and a just a short walk down the hill. If you live further up on one of the hills, you might catch a view of the city. Getting in/out of SF is a lot easier, since I-280 (and LC's, I might add) is mere minutes away.

Then came time to buy a place, and I settled in Ingleside, near City College. Ocean Ave is busy, but there's not many stores/restaurants to speak of (try Viking Subs, if you're ever around). This is the foggiest place I've lived in the city thus far, though I don't mind it in the least, since it keeps the temperature nice and cool. If I could afford it, I would try to buy in Noe Valley. Maybe some day.