Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid-High Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-15-2006, 09:51 PM

Default The turn c-r/cap semi bluff

Is that a move that you would generally try sometimes? If yes, what kind of villain/board etc? Anyway this is my experiment:

Villain is 52/32/3, obviously very agressive but also has found the fold button against me HU. No more info than this as we've only played 20-25 hands so far (stat nos over a bigger sample though)

Limit Holdem Ring game
Limit: $10/$20
3 players
Converter

Pre-flop: (3 players) Hero is BB with 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
<font color="#cc0000">Button raises</font>, SB folds, Hero calls.

Flop: 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] (4.5SB, 2 players)
Hero checks, <font color="#cc0000">Button bets</font>, Hero calls.

Turn: J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] (3.25BB, 2 players)
Hero checks, <font color="#cc0000">Button bets</font>, <font color="#cc0000">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#cc0000">Button 3-bets</font>, <font color="#cc0000">Hero caps</font>, Button calls.

River: 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] (11.25BB, 2 players)
<font color="#cc0000">Hero bets</font>
Old 09-15-2006, 09:54 PM

Default Re: The turn c-r/cap semi bluff

spew city. call the 3bet and pray you spike your club or you can safely fold the river if you don't. this guy will call you with A-hi so often even after this much action simply because he wants to see what you have.
Old 09-15-2006, 10:08 PM

I don't expect him to fold A-hi or a low pair (not impossible though). But what if he is on a draw as well? Is he going to call the river with Q9 etc? Forget the river card. What if he has a hand like 56 and bluffs the river?

The cap costs 1BB more than simply calling the turn 3-bet.
I don't claim it's the best move here, just wondering if it's good enough to mix it up.
Old 09-15-2006, 10:11 PM

The only time it is worth mixing up your play is when you are playing at a higher level where you are playing against the same opponents time and time again, and when they are smart enough to pay attention to how you play. FPS is totally a waste at 10/20, 15/30, and probably 20/40 even.
Old 09-16-2006, 12:46 AM

[ QUOTE ]

I don't claim it's the best move here, just wondering if it's good enough to mix it up.

[/ QUOTE ]

actually the cap cost you 2bb more since you decided to bet the river too and the difference between 3bb and 5bbs is pretty significant.
Old 09-16-2006, 12:54 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

actually the cap cost you 2bb more since you decided to bet the river too and the difference between 3bb and 5bbs is pretty significant.

[/ QUOTE ]

Doesnt actually cost 2BB more cos he will hit some of the time.....
Old 09-16-2006, 12:57 AM

It's cool that you chose to not checkraise the flop just because you have a flush draw, but the J turn is such a bad card for you that you probably shouldn't checkraise the turn either. Pretty much all of his range now has a reason not to fold. When you are 3 bet, capping is a complete donkey play. Someone willing to 3 bet AK there is going to call on the river too. Someone not donkeyish enough to 3 bet AK there will have a hand good enough to call down.

After check calling the flop, I might checkraise a safer turn. When the J falls, I check call again and check fold the river unimproved.