Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-15-2006, 05:05 PM

Default Live 8/16 turn donk

For those of you who haven't done this, I'm now convinced that a week in Vegas or some other place with live poker is essential for your poker career. I had a blast, won some money, and got seriously better.

Anyways, great loose passive/loose agressive 8/16 game at the Wynn. Couple of rocks, couple of fish, couple cocky laggys, me, and one pretty decent player.

SB is a cranky old guy who plays terribly and is a bit predictable. Loves to slowplay good hands and bet marginal ones. He has hit a couple of beats and is kind of tilting. Seems to be position aware, and is super loose agressive in later positions.

UTG+2 is a typical ABC TAG. SSH preflop range and not very inventive postflop, but this is paying off well for him in this particular game.

Hero is dealt Q [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]Q [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] in HJ

2 folds, UTG+2 raises, folds to hero who 3-bets, SB calls 2.5 cold.

Flop (9SB) A [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]9 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]7 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

SB checks, UTG+2 checks, Hero bets, all call.

Turn (6 BB) T [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

SB, to my surprise, bets. UTG+2 folds. Hero thinks for half a second and...

I think considering this player, the answer is easy, but I really want to hear thoughts on this issue. I'll tell you what I did later.
Old 09-15-2006, 05:18 PM

Default Re: Live 8/16 turn donk

Given read = Raise
No Read = Still Raise
Old 09-15-2006, 05:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Given read = Raise
No Read = Still Raise

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you suggesting a raise/fold line?
Old 09-15-2006, 06:42 PM

Call down. This seem to be a WA/WB line here. The problem is that is you are WA will the SB call down and not fold if you raise? You asked another poster if this is a raise/fold line. If you raise you can't fold. Remember how bad this player is and he could be titling.
Old 09-15-2006, 06:50 PM

I would call down. That being said my new favorite line to take with possibly dominated aces is to check/call the flop and donk the turn.
Old 09-15-2006, 06:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I would call down. That being said my new favorite line to take with possibly dominated aces is to check/call the flop and donk the turn.

[/ QUOTE ]

I like this line. In this hand though, I have position.

I agree that calling down is the right play against this opponent. His turn donk is just plain strange, and could mean many other things than a slowplayed Ace or a set. I would think that a c/r somewhere would be more likely if that was the case.
Old 09-15-2006, 07:26 PM

Heads up, 7 BB pot. I call and hope that I can show down for 1 or no further bets to this super loose aggressive player.
Old 09-15-2006, 07:31 PM

Edit: Guess I shouldn't have posted this yet. But in this case, I think its still easy to think about a good turn play regardless of results.

Just because its funny as hell, here are the results:

Hero calls turn

River: Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

Villain swears and checks. I bet and show my hand which I know is best. He throws down his pocket 7s in disgust, says "I can't take this [synonym for crap] anymore!" grabs all his chips in his hand and runs from the table. LOL.

I wish he hadn't gone though, since he is awful. Calls 2.5 cold PF OOP 3-way, check-calls flop as a slowplay, donks the turn, and then checks, naturally (ha ha) assuming that I have QQ or KJ. Every street played terribly. I love it.
Old 09-15-2006, 07:32 PM

hey BenA,

i would raise, fold to a 3bet, and check the river UI. i think i smell a semibluff.

Regards,

James
Old 09-15-2006, 07:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
hey BenA,

i would raise, fold to a 3bet, and check the river UI. i think i smell a semibluff.

Regards,

James

[/ QUOTE ]

You mean with something like clubs or 88? Hmm... Could you elaborate further? I hate folding to a 3-bet against some guy who is tilting and playing more unpredictably by the minute.