Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-15-2006, 04:54 PM

Default Video Game Newb, needs game selection help...

so heres the story...i work for a video game developer as an effects artist, but coming from a film training background i don't know much about games...so this weekend i am buying a ps2 (it needs to be a ps2) and am looking for cool games to get...

when i played games years ago i was into warcraft/red alert/diablo types of games, with a bit of mortal kombat thrown in...i don't like sports games and just finished development on an FPS so not looking for a shooter...

Here is the list i have so far...
Ratchet And Clank - a must buy for work
God of War
Shadow of Colossus
Prince of Persia - any ideas which are best?
Kingdom Hearts 2 - was recommended, but any good?
Devil May Cry 3 - don't know much about it...any good?

any other suggestions or comments on the current list appreciated, thanks...
Old 09-15-2006, 04:55 PM

Default Re: Video Game Newb, needs game selection help...

God of War is awesome. Shadow of Colossus is pretty cool. I have heard nothin but good thigns about PoP and DMC.
Old 09-15-2006, 04:57 PM

God of War rocks.
Haven't played Kingdom Hearts 2 - but if it's anything like the first one you should get it.
DMC3 is also great.
Old 09-15-2006, 05:02 PM

DMC3 is great, but tough.

Look into the Fatal Frame games too... they're awesome.
Don't forget the Silent Hill series

FWIW - Ratchet and Clank have been some of the most fun new age platform games I've ever played.
Old 09-15-2006, 05:14 PM

The three first Ratchet & Clank-games are awesome and among the best games I've played on the PS2. For comparison you could play Jak & Daxter, that series is pretty high on most peoples' lists as well.

DMC3 and GoW are also among the best released games. If you're thinking about PoP I'd say the first game is the best.

Shadow of the Colossus or Ico (prequel-ish) are not so much fun to play, but in their own category visually so you might think about them just for that. Final Fantasy X is also one of those games that you might consider just because of graphics (and the FMVs are stunning).

For a fighting game you should pick up Soul calibur 3 or Tekken 5 (if you're into combos).

I'd really take Shadow Hearts over Kingdom Hearts though, KH just feels like a bunch of interactive disney films with bad controls.

Silent hill 4 is also one of my favourites, very dark and creepy. The controls are a bit off here as well but the mood makes up for all of that.

The first ones to play are definitely DMC and GoW though, you can't go wrong with those. Keep playing DMC, it's pretty hard the first time around.
Old 09-15-2006, 05:39 PM

thanks for the comments so far...how important is it to start at the beginning of a series? most of the games are sequels or third parts, do i need to play all of them to understand them?
Old 09-15-2006, 06:16 PM

I don't like playing numbered sequels before the originals, even when they're only related by name, but that's just anal.

There are not many games of the type you say you used to like on the PS2. Those strategy games are mostly on PC.

For Prince of Persia play the first new one, Sands of Time - it's the best one whether you're anal or not.

Kingdom Hearts - I'd probably play part 1 first; but I have not yet played 2. You have to be into Disney. And if the fact that in part 2, you go to the black & white world of "Steamboat Willie" (see my avatar) interests you, definitely go for it.

The other major must-haves are the Grand Theft Auto games. If you're only going to play one of them, play the newest, San Andreas. It's just so big and beautiful and amazing...one of the top 5-10 games ever made. If you're obsessed with the 80's, play Vice City.

The Final Fantasy games might be up your alley. The new one coming out (XII) is supposed to be incredible.

And definitely do Ico - probably that before Shadow of the Colossus.

I also far prefer Devil May Cry 1 over God of War, but most disagree. DMC2 is not that good.

Your priority order should be something like:

Ico
GTA: San Andreas
Ratchet & Clank 1
Devil May Cry (1 or 3) or God of War
Final Fantasy or Kingdom Hearts

At this point you'll have a good idea of what type of games you like and what you should pursue. If you like the Ico gameplay, go for Prince of Persia next. If you liked GTA, continue with those. If you liked Ratchet, do the Jak & Daxter games and maybe Sly Cooper.
Old 09-15-2006, 06:19 PM

you really need to get God of War and Shawdow of the Colossus, easily two of the best games you'll find for the PS2. If you like,

RPG's: Final Fantasy X
Driving: GT 4
Fighting: Fight Night Round 3

PS: about the sequels question: don't bother, the main plot of the previous games is always explained in one way or the other in the sequel.
Old 09-17-2006, 03:59 AM

I've never owned a PS2, but:
- Metal Gear Solid 2 = awesomeness when I played it on PC, and that was with goofy ass keyboard controls
- Prince of Persia: all games were good, I think I enjoyed 1 and 3 the most. 1 had the best story and was probably most difficult, but each consecutive game added more gameplay facets which made them interesting.