Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-15-2006, 01:40 PM

Default big hand in a big pot

Live 8-16, 9 handed

UTG and UTG+1 are both pretty tight-passive players. They aren't rocks, though, because they play pretty much correctly PF (maybe even cold-calling slightly too much). Post-flop is where the tight-passive comes out - both of them seem like the kind of player that values not paying off a better hand more than they value money. I've seen both make what I thought were pretty bad folds.

I don't have a very good read on MP3, but he is starting to smell kinda fishy.

PF Hero is MP1 with Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
<font color="red">UTG raises</font>, <font color="red">UTG+1 3-bets</font>, <font color="red">Hero caps</font>, 1 fold, MP3 calls, 4 folds, UTG calls, UTG+1 calls.

Flop 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img](4 players, 17.5 SB)
UTG checks, <font color="red">UTG+1 bets</font>, <font color="red">Hero raises</font>, MP3 calls, UTG agonizes for a little bit and finally makes what is clearly a big laydown, UTG+1 calls.

Turn K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img](3 players, 11.5 BB)
UTG checks, <font color="red">Hero bets</font>, <font color="red">MP2 raises</font>, UTG folds, Hero calls.

River 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img](2 players, 15 BB)
Hero...

What's my plan here? c/c? b/f? Is there any way I can lay this down getting 16:1? Is the rest of the hand super-standard? Should I have check-called the turn instead of betting out? It was hard to have any idea what MP3 could have had.
Old 09-15-2006, 01:59 PM

Default Re: big hand in a big pot

Since you are there already, check/call. The pot is too big to fold. But expect to lose almost always. Fish, calling 2 on the flop and raising the turn... Smells like a set.

Edit: BTW how come MP3 became MP2 on the turn? Did he change the seat? [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 09-15-2006, 02:11 PM

Anyone else inclined to check the turn? I don't think we're ahead here enough to bet.
Old 09-15-2006, 02:13 PM

I would check the turn, there's so much that could beat us we might as well try for a cheap showdown and cheap draw at the gutshot.
Old 09-15-2006, 02:37 PM

Checking this turn 3handed is nonsense.

I think you can c/f the river but barely.
Old 09-15-2006, 02:49 PM

easy river fold.

He cold calls 100 PF. Cold calls 2 on the flop. And raises the turn. QQ is ahead here never. Also, I bet/call the turn only cause of my OESD.

I c/f the river.
Old 09-15-2006, 02:59 PM

Getting 16:1 I'd always call this river; is that so wrong?
Old 09-15-2006, 03:48 PM

You aren't good 1 time in 16 here. Online, I can find a call a good percentage of the time, against live Loose Passives, I think the river is a super easy fold. As a related note, checking the turn is weak tight and anyone who does it hates money.
Old 09-15-2006, 04:15 PM

Villain has A [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] T [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], or maybe A [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 7 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] or maybe 7 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 6 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] and is taking one last gasp bluff bet at pot &lt; 1:16?

GpissingawaymoneyonrivercallsG
Old 09-15-2006, 04:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Villain has A [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] T [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], or maybe A [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 7 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] or maybe 7 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 6 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] and is taking one last gasp bluff bet at pot &lt; 1:16?

GpissingawaymoneyonrivercallsG

[/ QUOTE ]

Even a complete fish will not cold call PF cap with these hands often. I think he has JJ, 99, 88 here a lot.