Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > News, Views, and Gossip
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-15-2006, 01:20 AM

Default Re: Cardplayer.com Featured Player: Mike Caro, lifetime winnings: $50k

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
And then I believe he went on another rant about how tournaments are stupid because they're not winner-take-all. Somewhere in there, I guess his argument is that he dislikes/sucks at tournaments because the "winner gets penalized."

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, I always get a kick out of that "brilliant" theory of his. LOL

Caro is a classic example of the old saying, "Those who can, do. Those who can't, teach."

[/ QUOTE ]He raped 5 card draw as far as I know....doyle asked him to write the book on that, right?
Old 09-15-2006, 03:41 AM

from bluff magazine:

I’d challenge players to suicide matches. I’d offer, sincerely, to play heads-up and whoever lost had to kill himself. My thinking was that I couldn’t be embarrassed by not having the funds to compete at large limits if my opponents were turning down my offers to play at the ultimate limit.

And it worked. No one ever accepted my challenge. I’m not sure if I would have actually played a match if someone had accepted, but I had fantasies about winning and then sparing the loser’s life. Sick? Maybe. Anyway, my ego was getting the best of me at poker. This went on for a year, and then my game plan crashed conspicuously one day in Gardena, California, before a small audience of players.

I was nearly broke and couldn’t afford the game that this weathered, tough-looking stranger was trying to goad me into playing. So I began to rant in my usual fashion. And I challenged him to a suicide match – a ploy that had always worked before to let me escape with my ego intact. But this man had apparently heard about me and had come prepared.

“Kid,” he said calmly, “if you want to play serious poker, let’s deal.” At that point, he unzipped his fly. He made a sweeping motion toward me, suggesting that I do the same thing. I was momentarily puzzled until he opened up a pocketknife and threw it onto the table.

“Sit down and deal the cards,” was all he said. Almost instantly, I realized what he was suggesting. Now, loser kills himself is one thing, but loser castrates himself is quite another. Suddenly what I had previously thought of as playing for the ultimate stakes didn’t quite seem so ultimate.
Old 09-15-2006, 03:55 AM

[ QUOTE ]
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

He raped 5 card draw as far as I know....doyle asked him to write the book on that, right?

[/ QUOTE ]

He did. But they built games around him for years playing both limit and PL at HP. I always got a kick out of the fact that he would play one of the best in the world at the time (Rambo) heads up day after day and getting beat pretty bad. Guess his ego wouldnt believe there were better players on the planet. Betty also beat him for big $$$

I played a fair amount with him in the late 90's at HP. Very nice guy, but he is crazy. Its no act.

Tuco.
Old 09-15-2006, 04:00 AM

Default Re: Cardplayer.com Featured Player: Mike Caro, lifetime winnings: $50k LOL

[ QUOTE ]
Too funny.

[/ QUOTE ]

And you have earned how much? LOL.

Now that we are finished laughing at you, let's look at Mike's contributes to poker like we would Sam Shepard to Hollywood. Is he an actor? Is he a writer?

One thing for certain, he isn't a shmuck. Don't you be one.
Now, that's pretty funny, brah.

Heh.

RazzO
Old 09-15-2006, 02:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Now that we are finished laughing at you, let's look at Mike's contributes to poker like we would Sam Shepard to Hollywood. Is he an actor? Is he a writer?

[/ QUOTE ]

Um Sam Shephard is both an accomplished writer, playwright, and actor (he also cowrote the Dylan epic "Brownsville Girl.") Mike Caro wrote a book on poker tells that's considered something of a joke. Where's the comparison?
Old 09-15-2006, 02:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Um Sam Shephard is both an accomplished writer, playwright, and actor (he also cowrote the Dylan epic "Brownsville Girl.") Mike Caro wrote a book on poker tells that's considered something of a joke. Where's the comparison?

[/ QUOTE ]
Why is the book of tells a joke? What book on tells is better than his?
Old 09-15-2006, 03:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
And then I believe he went on another rant about how tournaments are stupid because they're not winner-take-all. Somewhere in there, I guess his argument is that he dislikes/sucks at tournaments because the "winner gets penalized."

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, I always get a kick out of that "brilliant" theory of his. LOL

Caro is a classic example of the old saying, "Those who can, do. Those who can't, teach."

[/ QUOTE ]He raped 5 card draw as far as I know....doyle asked him to write the book on that, right?

[/ QUOTE ]

Doyle's been supporting him for years. I think Caro must have some naked pictures of him. LOL
Old 09-15-2006, 04:12 PM

Is it possible that someone could be a strong player without haveing had success in major tournaments, or even without playing many major tournaments?
Old 09-15-2006, 04:40 PM

Default Re: Cardplayer.com Featured Player: Mike Caro, lifetime winnings: $50k LOL

Very good points, Razz.

Mike has done alot for the poker communinty on the whole.

Tuco.
Old 09-15-2006, 05:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Is it possible that someone could be a strong player without haveing had success in major tournaments, or even without playing many major tournaments?

[/ QUOTE ]

apparently not in NVG [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]