Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-14-2006, 06:29 PM

Default Trip Report- Moving from Columbus OH to Burlington VT

So on Sunday, August 27th, I got my MS from OSU. It wasn't an overly big deal, just the parents came up from near Cincy. The major part of the whole graduation deal was that I had found a job in Vermont that was perfect for the grad work I had done. I did my undergrad at OSU also, so this was obviously quite a move, as I had spent my whole life withen two hours of the northern 'burbs of Cincy. My company offered me two different moving options:

1. Take two weeks pay, a free trip to find a place, a moving company handles all my stuff. The weekend I am to move, I get on a plane and my stuff should be in boxes at my new place, 800 miles away.

2. $5K, paid for moving van and gas, do it myself.

I talked nice to my dad and convinced him to alternate turns driving up and got him a one way ticket back. So Friday, Sept 1 is the big day.

I go to get said ordered and paid for Uhaul. To say it is messed up is an understatement. First, the nearest place with a tow setup to hook up my car is in Delaware OH, about 40 minutes from campus. Secondly, my gf dropped me off and had to get to work, so if things are really bad there, I might be screwed. It turns out the relocation company had me setup to move to suburban DC, not Vermont. Since they only paid for that, I cannot get my truck. Barf.

After a two hour call to the relocation company, Joe mechanic guy who runs a Uhaul place in Delaware, me, and the Uhaul order center who must have ruined everything, I am off. 12-footer with my car on the back gets about 10 miles the gal.

The drive was not bad. Landlady, who is actually younger than I am, is waiting when the ole man and I cruise up. Take the Uhaul back, no big deal.

Problems
I-90. $39 in tolls and about $0.30 per gal for gas than off the highway. My directions told me to "stay on I-90 W for 444 miles."

Gas in a Uhaul. Went through about $400 worth. Not fun.

Burlington. Way smaller than I expected. Way to hippy for me too. But thats what I get.
Old 09-14-2006, 07:11 PM

Default Re: Trip Report- Moving from Columbus OH to Burlington VT

I live in Burlington but am moving to Central NY ASAP ( read: in the next month ). It's hippy, but it's more pansy / college hippy. Where are you living? Did you rent / buy? Prices are wicked high for buying right now, wait till mid 2007 when we hit the bottom of the real estate market curve. When I first moved here, in 5/2000, there was less than 0.2% vacancy rate for renting, so it's opened up *quite* a bit since they started building every summer for the last 5 years. I'd be down to chill / show you some stuff, but like you already mentioned, it's *really* small ( it's more of a large neighborhood than a small city ) and there's not too much to do unless you're super into outdoors stuff, for which it's amazing. And you already missed out on the Single A baseball season ;-)

If you've got questions, ask em.
Old 09-14-2006, 07:28 PM

I went to school in that area. Beautiful in summer and fall, not so much in winter and mud season. But you probably know that.

The best thing about it is you are only about an hour and a half from one of the greatest cities in the world: Montreal.
Old 09-14-2006, 07:32 PM

You should have let pros move you.
Old 09-14-2006, 07:36 PM

Renting one of the condos off of Riverside, close to the highway to get to work, up the hill to Burlington.

Just how bad is the weather in the winter? Everyone at work just says that I am in for a big surprise. I have a garage to park in and they plow in front, so I doubt it will be a huge deal???
Old 09-15-2006, 09:30 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Renting one of the condos off of Riverside, close to the highway to get to work, up the hill to Burlington.

Just how bad is the weather in the winter? Everyone at work just says that I am in for a big surprise. I have a garage to park in and they plow in front, so I doubt it will be a huge deal???

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you living in Riverwatch or that one down the hill from it ... I used to live in Riverwatch and I think it's a good out of the way location ... I don't think the winters are that bad at all ... unless you don't like extreme colds ... the snow isn't bad.
Old 09-15-2006, 12:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

W00t!, a Vermont thread!

I don't know too much about the weather in Columbus, but I do know that it isn't tropical. It gets very cold up in Vermont, but I don't think the weather will be a big deal to you, particularly since you live right off the highway. Occasionally, it'll be bad enough that you won't be able to get into work, but that will be the case for everyone, and it won't be a big deal.

-McGee
Old 09-15-2006, 01:10 PM

you had never been there before you accepted the job??
Old 09-15-2006, 08:39 PM

only for a weekend, and yes Riverwatch.