Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > STT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-14-2006, 08:18 AM

Default A QQ hand - £20 Crypto

My 4ths-6ths in STTs are 14%+, probably because I'm too tight early on. I'm looking at my levels 1-3 game to improve these stats. Please comment on a QQ hand:

1st hand, level one (blinds 7/15, 1000 stacks each):
I know a few of the players and I know that I am an above average player on table.

I'm in the SB with Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

It's folded to the button who calls. The button plays a lot of games but has a -5% ROI (courtesy of Sharkscope).

I raise to 60 and the big blind, who I know nothing about, calls. The button calls and the flop comes down:

8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

A nice flop for me, and I bet out 150. The big blind calls and the button goes all-in. What do I do and why? Also, what % of the time are all-ins made with flush draws in this situation.

Thanks, results later.

/tees
Old 09-14-2006, 08:28 AM

Default Re: A QQ hand - £20 Crypto

I think I'm pretty far ahead of the BTN range. I doubt that flop helped him, he could be on the flush draw, the donk probably thinks he has plenty of FE, maybe he puts you on a couple of overs. Overall, I'm pretty certain I'm ahead, insta call.
Old 09-14-2006, 09:32 AM

You are way ahead here and you should call pretty quickly. You will see plenty of draws / underpairs / A8, I think, and occasionnaly the feared 88/55.
Old 09-14-2006, 10:38 AM

Easy call, if turns over 88 55 bad beat, if he turns over 85 52 or some such rubbish then update your notes and fire up another one.

In reality he turns over 99-JJ and A8 or flush draw most of time.
Old 09-14-2006, 10:38 AM

Call.
Old 09-14-2006, 12:07 PM

Yeah, looks like an insta call.

However, I was multi-tabling with too many cash games on the go, and I didn't like the raise so I folded quickly as I thought it too tight. The big blind called.

The button had something like K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] and 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] and the big blind had T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]. The big blind took down the pot with a pair on the river and I kicked the cat.

Now, I know it looks like I'm miles ahead, but am I really? As I thought this might be a leak in my game I decided to analyse the hand a la Sklansky by doing some maths.

First I put the button on a range of hands that he might call a 4 BB raise and then go all-in on the flop. There are 15 ranges of hands.

I then gave each range a % chance that the button would call a 4BB raise and then go all-in on the flop.

Using Pokerstove I worked out the % chance for a sample hand in each range that beat QQ by the river. I added the %s of each range and it worked out that I was a 60/40 favourite.

That's the same as going all-in with A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] against K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] on the 1st hand of a STT. Would you do that?

Getting back to the original hand, there's other things to consider that might bring your EV down, such as ICM, the big blind has yet to act (although I do have the chance to triple up), and should I be waiting for a better spot?

I'm not sure if this hand is as tight as I think it is. Is this a leak?
Old 09-14-2006, 12:39 PM

CALLCALLCALLCALLCALLCALLCALLCALLCALLCALLCALLCALLCA LLCALL
Old 09-14-2006, 12:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
CALLCALLCALLCALLCALLCALLCALLCALLCALLCALLCALLCALLCA LLCALL

[/ QUOTE ]