Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-14-2006, 01:00 AM

Default Re: is living in the USA overrated

[ QUOTE ]
Beautiul scenery, no doubt...but you can't touch America in terms of sheer quantity of awesome natural beauty.

[/ QUOTE ]

America is huge, but most of the country is pretty boring. A country like Switzerland has beautiful scenery everywhere!
Old 09-14-2006, 02:29 AM

need people from the UK to explain how the government take your wages, huge percentage??
Old 09-14-2006, 02:34 AM

In Canada out personal income tax is grotesquely high, and we pay a 7% tax on pretty well all purchases other than food.

I don't think the UK or pretty much any where else can compare.
Old 09-14-2006, 02:41 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I think the best thing that the US has going for it is the geographic diversity. No other country can really compete with us in that department.

[/ QUOTE ]

See: New Zealand

In fact I think New Zealand is pretty much the nicest place on earth.

Liberal government, strong education at all levels, lowest pollution rate among non scandanavian countries, most eco friendly country on earth. And without a doubt the most beautiful scenery ANYWHERE .

[/ QUOTE ]

Beautiul scenery, no doubt...but you can't touch America in terms of sheer quantity of awesome natural beauty.

I agree with your other assertions though. NZ is amazing. My wife wanted to live forever on Golden Bay on the South Island when we went there.

[/ QUOTE ]

Also, I was talking about diversity of climate and geography, not just which country is more beautiful. The US has every major climate and terrain that the world offers. That doesn't mean it's not overrated as a country but it's what I like best about it anyway.

[/ QUOTE ]

some one come in and prove me wrong but I've heard New Zealand actually is the only country in the world with every time of climate (or maybe it was terrain)

Personally I've never seen a more beautifull country
Old 09-14-2006, 02:50 AM

I was born in the US, then lived there from like 10 to 19 years old. I thought it sucked a huge amount of ass in may ways, but obv it's a very subjective thing. I'll try to be positive and focus on the good things I like about America:

<ul type="square"> [*]good interstate highways (although construction kinda sucks in the cities)[*]nacho cheese [/list]
btw, I don't like america's taxes, they are too low IMO
Old 09-14-2006, 03:05 AM

[ QUOTE ]
In Canada out personal income tax is grotesquely high, and we pay a 7% tax on pretty well all purchases other than food.

I don't think the UK or pretty much any where else can compare.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think you should get your facts straight:

While Canada's taxation is high, it's not even close to many Western European countries, who pay 50%+. Belgium pays between 50% - 60%. Also, Canadian Federal taxes are actually LOWER than American's. But, we also pay provincial taxes, which some States don't even have. Our provincial sales taxes are comparable to both California's and New York's state taxes. But, in return we get much more afforadable secondary education, a much better public school system, and universal health care.

Just to clear it up.

In response to the OP, I have lived in America and truly do love it. I'm actually half American (American Dad). I think that a large percentage of the people are very, very naive about world issues and can be very arrogant when it comes to American critism. But, I think there are also a enourmous population of people in America that are insanely intellegent and well informed. I believe that one of the reasons that American people get a bad rap around the world is because of the sheer amout of people in the country. When you have close to 300 million people, there are bound to be ton's from both sides of the fence.

Cheers,

Cancuk
Old 09-14-2006, 03:20 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Top (ten) countries (HDI range from 0.963 down to 0.878)

1 Norway
2 Iceland
3 Australia
4 Luxembourg
5 Canada
6 Sweden
7 Switzerland
8 Ireland
9 Belgium
10 United States

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HDI

[/ QUOTE ]

That list is total garbage, unless you like long dark winters.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is about standard of living (I think). Not climate. Also, Australia, Canada (90% of the country lives within 100 KM's of the border), Belgium, and Lux. don't fall into your blanket statement.
Old 09-14-2006, 03:30 AM

I think I liked Denver more than Canberra but it's close. Like medical etc sux in the US but OMG the skiing.
Old 09-14-2006, 03:33 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Living in the USA is slightly overrated by the majority of Americans stemming from the lack the average citizens knowledge about the world outside the borders. That being said its probally still the best option.

[/ QUOTE ]

Have you ever lived anywhere else? Why do you think it's the best option?
Old 09-14-2006, 03:34 AM

I think it's vastly underrated actually.