Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-13-2006, 07:52 PM

Default Re: Ask Freerollin` about 10 years in Law Enforcement

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

is there a time limitation on speeding tickets? someone told me most states have like 7 years on this. i lived in ny for 7 months last year, and luckily was never pulled over, but was always scared shitless of being thrown in jail for a speeding ticket i got so long ago.

[/ QUOTE ]

I've never dealt with something like that, but I guarantee that all states are different. See Rule #1 in OP.

[/ QUOTE ]

Here's the deal from someone who does this that I know. Just talked to them.

- The ticket never expires. You were issued a ticket, which means charges were filed. If you do not pay or fail to appear a warrant will be issued.

- Warrants compound the longer they go without being resolved. It is possible to have a $100 speeding ticket turn into a $100k warrant. Most likely this will be knocked down once you are arrested and appear in court.

- Warrants for traffic tickets will expire. Time varies. The only problem is that they can suspend your DL once the warrant expires and you could get stopped and picked up for that.

- You can go to court and have them run a warrants check on you. (You won't get arrested....probably [img]/images/graemlins/ooo.gif[/img]). It will have to be the court that issued the warrant, most likely the court that handled the ticket.

- Most courts have an amensty day were you can appear and just pay the original fine (plus maybe a little more). This is usually on one day a year. You'll have to call the court to find out the details.

CAVEATS - YOUR LOCAL LAWS MAY VARY.

It's probably best to talk to a lawyer about this if you are really worried. Police usually just don't "forget" about crimes even if they are minor. It can came back and bite you. But, it's only a speeding ticket, you can get it resolved pretty easy if you are proactive about it instead of waiting for the police.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is wrong for NY. If he was never arraigned on the ticket (or never answered the ticket), then a bench warrant can't have been issued. Instead, he'll go into whats called "Scofflaw" status, where his privilege to drive in NY will be suspended, and the next time he gets a ticket, he will get a "driving with a suspended license" in addition to whatever other tickets he gets. (See post above).
Old 09-13-2006, 07:53 PM

The only cop I have really known well was a friends father, who was an unbelievable racist. He and another State Trooper told me about several times when they had planted or helped plant evidence for black guys "they knew were guilty". I found it shocking.

Have you known or heard of cops that were like this, not necessarily planting evidence, but just generally being racist.

Thanks.

You've answered this in a roundabout way with the 98% good cops thing, but I still wanted to ask.
Old 09-13-2006, 07:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
isnt NY a decriminalized state?

[/ QUOTE ]

A first marijuana offender (under a certain amount), by law, must get what's called an Adjournment in Contemplation of Dismissal (ACOD). This means that so long as they stay out of trouble for 1 year, the marijuana charge against them is dismissed.

Edit: Also, possession of a small amount of marijuana in NY is a "violation" and not a crime. So that may be what the NORML website means when it states that NY is a "decriminalized" state.
Old 09-13-2006, 08:07 PM

I read most of the thread, not sure if this was asked but when you were a police officer would you have WITHOUT HESITATION turned in a fellow officer/partner for something like stealing a kilo of coke/money at a bust? Are the police who keep quiet and protect the dirty/bad cops still considered good cops?
Old 09-13-2006, 08:16 PM

Is making a "Citizens Arrest" valid at all?
Old 09-13-2006, 08:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Is making a "Citizens Arrest" valid at all?

[/ QUOTE ]

Depends on the state and the crime.
Old 09-13-2006, 09:14 PM

Freerollin':

Here's a question for you: why did you start this thread if you were going to spaz any time someone impinged on the integrity of the police?? Did you not learn your lesson from the million other cop-related threads that ALWAYS degenerate into a "cops suck," "no they don't, and you're a little pusshead" arguments?? And why do you tell people that they're lying when their opinions differ from yours? I produced the article from New Brunswick in that other thread, do you want a copy of Knockworst's law school diploma or something? Jesus. Your skin is paper thin. A LOT of people don't like the cops. And a LOT of them have good reason not to. That is a FACT, whether or not it fits into your idyllic worldview.

Quit being such a petulant baby when people disagree with you. This thread was a terrible idea on your point because you are unable to deal with alternative points of view. Which fulfills a cop stereotype, btw.

-bb.
Old 09-13-2006, 10:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Freerollin':

Here's a question for you: why did you start this thread if you were going to spaz any time someone impinged on the integrity of the police?? Did you not learn your lesson from the million other cop-related threads that ALWAYS degenerate into a "cops suck," "no they don't, and you're a little pusshead" arguments?? And why do you tell people that they're lying when their opinions differ from yours? I produced the article from New Brunswick in that other thread, do you want a copy of Knockworst's law school diploma or something? Jesus. Your skin is paper thin. A LOT of people don't like the cops. And a LOT of them have good reason not to. That is a FACT, whether or not it fits into your idyllic worldview.

Quit being such a petulant baby when people disagree with you. This thread was a terrible idea on your point because you are unable to deal with alternative points of view. Which fulfills a cop stereotype, btw.

-bb.

[/ QUOTE ]

Just for the record, I like good cops. There's no better people in the world. It's just that the bad ones who use their authority for their own personal illicit gain or to exploit personal prejudices are no better than the thugs they arrest and put in jail.
Old 09-14-2006, 02:23 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
The article expressly said that one of the C&B elements possessed by the executive branch of government is the power to decide which laws passed by the legislature will be enforced.

[/ QUOTE ]

Right. So the president, the head of the executive branch - essentially the executive branch itself - can say, oh, well, we won't be enforcing drug laws anymore. Check your sources.

[/ QUOTE ]

Article

Bush has issued an unprecedented amount of signing statements when Congress passes laws indicating that he believes the laws are unconstitutional and he has no intention of enforcing them. So, yeah, he can, until the Justice department or whoever does something about it.

Also, something I recall from my high school's career day was listening to a student's dad, a successful lawyer, talk about his early career. He started out as a prosecutor but said he got disillusioned from the job because of dishonest cops, and moved to the private sector.