Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > STT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-13-2006, 09:14 PM

Default (55r) i hate JJ....

PartyPoker Regular Tournament, Big Blind is t (10 handed) Converter on pregopoker.com

Thoughts on all streets appreciated. Generally I riase more pre flop (220) but here I dont think that matters. I didn't C-bet the flop because of the diamonds and a slowplaying Q I would not know where I'm at.

UTG (t2030)
Hero (t1940)
MP1 (t334)
MP2 (t3242)
MP3 (t2550)
CO+1 (t1515)
CO (t2704)
Button (t913)
SB (t1865)
BB (t2907)

Preflop: Hero is in UTG+1 with J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
<font color="gray">UTG folds</font>, <font color="red">Hero raises to t180</font>, <font color="gray">MP1 folds</font>, MP2 calls t180, <font color="gray">MP3 folds</font>, <font color="gray">CO+1 folds</font>, <font color="gray">CO folds</font>, <font color="gray">Button folds</font>, <font color="gray">SB folds</font>, <font color="gray">BB folds</font>

Flop: (t360) Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] (2 players)
Hero checks, MP2 checks

Turn: (t360) 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] (2 players)
<font color="red">Hero bets t300</font>, MP2 calls t300

River: (t960) 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] (2 players)
Hero checks, <font color="red">MP2 bets t1389</font>, <font color="gray">Hero folds</font>
Old 09-13-2006, 09:34 PM

Default Re: (55r) i hate JJ....

I cont-bet flop, and likely check turn.
Old 09-13-2006, 09:38 PM

not a big deal. i would usually just limp preflop and only play good boards. this board isnt good, don't play it...

i don't see a reason for betting the turn if your not betting the flop. i would also suggest betting less...around 200 will probably be good enough, and i would bet it on the flop. if he calls that then i would hope for a free showdown.

his river bet looks peculiar but i think he knows you don't have a queen so you cant call. some players also make their river bet look like a bluff occasionally.

the best you are hoping for on the river is a split pot and that produces some unprofitable odds. you can't call.
Old 09-13-2006, 10:53 PM

bet flop and go broke on it. i prob crai a bunch of turns.
Old 09-14-2006, 12:00 AM

You gotta bet that flop. Its not that bad for you, less likely he has a Queen, and he most likely has overs or the flush draw. The river card just sucked. Dont have a clue what hes pushing on the river.
Old 09-14-2006, 01:27 AM

[ QUOTE ]
You gotta bet that flop. Its not that bad for you, less likely he has a Queen, and he most likely has overs or the flush draw. The river card just sucked. Dont have a clue what hes pushing on the river.

[/ QUOTE ]

looks like a pretty good flop actually.
Old 09-14-2006, 02:09 AM

I bet the flop too. As played, I would call the river.
Old 09-14-2006, 02:41 AM

You said you didnt CBet the flop cuz you wouldnt know where you stand.... being that this is a pretty GOOD flop for you, why dont you just CBet enough to make a flush draw a horrible call..... (this wont work against extremely weak opponents)
Old 09-14-2006, 02:57 AM

Well, I played a tonne of hands like this tonight. Every medium-big pair had an over come on the flop, or paired boards like this.

Personally, I probably wouldn't have any intention of betting any street in this hand. Betting the flop might get called by some mid pairs, but that's it. You're chasing out any hand you have beat, and getting called by a Q for sure.

On the turn, again I check. I doubt he has much with the check behind on the flop. But, if he has a Q you can keep the pot small with a check/call. I'm not terrible worried about protecting my hand in these spots, because I don't like them to begin with.

The river is tough. He could have picked up the club draw on the turn, which would be consistent with his check/call/over-bet line. Any time I see this line, I'm very suspicous. Is he really slow playing the flop and turn and over betting the river.

I probably just call his bet out of confusion.

Edit: Time for bed. I didn't see there was a flush draw on the flop, which changes things. Although, I still might no bet it.

I also didn't realize the third 5 came on the river, so I'd fold the river rather than call for a split pot.
Old 09-14-2006, 03:02 AM

Limp JJ preflop early and in early position. Call reasonable raises, and I pick of small stack pushes a lot too, but beware if there is too much action behind you.

This board is a fine board to play (as played), but playing out of position with JJ will often bring you pain.

Limping JJ may feel weird at first, but soon enough you wont even notice. Toss it away without hesitation on a bad board, even if you think your opponent "doesn't have it".