Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Internet Gambling > Internet Gambling
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-13-2006, 07:31 PM

Default Re: Sometimes we forget our place

[ QUOTE ]
I agree with the OP, that proffessionals should be held to a higher standard.

However, I think you misunderstand how bad players think.

Joe Fish doesnt believe he made a mistake, in fact, he berates other players too.

And when you insult them, they usually blow it off, or insult back.

It's never going to stop, ESPECIALLY on the internet.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is true for some but not for others.

JoeFish sometimes IS listening and CAN be educated somewhat.
This includes being berated into actually playing better.

The first time I got berated at the table some guy told me how crappy I played my hand and I actually listened because I was so new.
I had only been playing for a week or two online and didn't even know if a flush beat a full-house...kept forgetting.
I was probably a VP-80 or something.

That table-coach successfully embarassed me into thinking, "Wow...he really seems to know what's happening. I had been thinking I was doing okay but just getting somewhat unlucky."

Also note that the beratement I took wasn't really anything major or profane.
It was just a typical, "A8o and you call an all-in?? How can you play such a crappy hand?? Man, you really suck!!"

It would have happened sooner or later eventually in my case. And I do agree that such rudeness and table-coaching is not going to stop anyway.

But don't think that someone's beratement of how much some other guy totally sucks and how he should 'go read a book' always falls on deaf ears.

It's not unusual for even the guys who stubbornly defend their crappy play to really tighten-up, thus playing more correctly, for the rest of the session or when you sit down with them a week later.
Old 09-13-2006, 07:38 PM

U talkin' to me, fish?.
Old 09-13-2006, 11:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Wow, talk about timing.

We just had to send a whale packing for this very reason. Sucks because our current promo was designed for heavy players to benefit from, but we got someone on the site that just refused to play unless his chat was returned.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hey, was it Ronald White by any chance? Did you jam him with 16 aces and a 5 in a game of blackjack?
Old 09-14-2006, 12:03 AM

[ QUOTE ]
All you professional and semiprofessional players should reflect on your role now and then.

Losing players are your customers....

[/ QUOTE ]

A very good post.

Let me suggest that the rudeness starts even earlier - you can see it in these forums every day. I ask you, what other businesses routinely refer to their very best customers as "fish"? If you change the way you think of other human beings before you even show up at the tables, it will surely be easier to avoid the insulting chat that makes things so unpleasant for them.
Old 09-14-2006, 08:08 AM

Nice post frommagio.

I used to think poker=craps.

I used to deposit about 1K per week.

Then, someone gave me [censored].

So, I bought a book.

So, I found these forums.

I still suck, but I haven't deposited since.

Thank you Mr. Berator, thank you!

Edit to add: How much do you think I was losing if I'm willing to admit I was losing 1K per week? Dumb mother [censored].
Old 09-15-2006, 12:05 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Many of the "serious players" claim they only play for the money, but I don't think any one really falls into that narrow of a category (if there are people like that I feel sorry for them as it must be a pretty shallow/miserable existance).

[/ QUOTE ]

WOW! Playing poker for money is a shallow miserable existance. Hahahaha!

Wait, let's see what the really "good" reasons for playing are, if not for the "fringe benefit" of money ...

camaraderie...
Ever been to a B&M? Degenerates, scum, idiots, losers, with more than 50% smelling bad with poor hygenic habits. These are your friends? Oh, wait, this is the online forum. So you must be buddies with the eyeball avitar.

prestige (playing higher limits) ...
You are a poker player, not a brain surgeon. There is no prestige, except among the above mentioned losers.

The feeling of being better/smarter than your opponents (i.e. ego), etc ...
Yeah, outsmarting retards. Great. You can probably get the same jolt outrunning crippled children.

I think the reasons you list (some of which don't really apply at all, or don't apply to online play) are the "fringe benefits". Unless you have some mental problem (and GA would probably be a good place for help), money should be the primary goal to playing 'serious' poker.

[/ QUOTE ]

nice post
Old 09-15-2006, 07:24 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't even really disagree with the tone of the posts, but I think in general people vastly overestimate the effect that yelling at a fish has in terms of their capacity to donate.

[/ QUOTE ]