Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > The Lounge: Discussion+Review
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-12-2006, 06:53 AM

Default Re: Air Shows

[ QUOTE ]
"Hey, Rose, there's a Messerschmidt in the kitchen. Clean it up, would ya?"

[/ QUOTE ]

"What the Focke Wulf is that damned dog doing?

You clean it up....It's your freakin animal!"
Old 09-12-2006, 07:10 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
"Hey, Rose, there's a Messerschmidt in the kitchen. Clean it up, would ya?"

[/ QUOTE ]

"What the Focke Wulf is that damned dog doing?

You clean it up....It's your freakin animal!"

[/ QUOTE ]

[img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 09-12-2006, 09:15 AM

I went to the air show at the Toronto CNE a few years ago.

By far the best part was the Snowbirds aerobatic team. They were flying within inches of each other in formation, and going head on and flipping over to just miss. The most fantastic thing I've ever seen.
Old 09-12-2006, 10:46 AM

I was in Chicago for the Air Show at the end of August. Now that's got to be the mother of all air shows. It goes on for six hours, then they do it again. And then they do it another day.

My kids got tired of it after two hours, but if you want an air show, that's the one to see. The highlight for us was when the F-16, on full afterburner, in a tight turn skidded a little wide and passed directly overhead at about 500-600 feet. So close you could feel the heat, and was it LOUD. That's when the kids had enough.
Old 09-13-2006, 04:16 PM

This thread reminds me of a story I heard on the radio a couple of days ago, from a British entertainer called Tommy Steele. He's just had his autobiography out, and he was telling of the times he had to run to the shelter during the Blitz before the bombs started dropping...

Anyway, he told this tale, which I find very moving without knowing why.

His mother was heavily pregnant, and his father sent him and his mother to Cornwall for the birth - for about 3 weeks. Being a small London lad, he wasn't impressed by Cornwall much, finding it boring, but he described one lasting memory. I'll try and repeat the words he used for this:

'We were staying at a little cottage in Cornwall, and it was by a big tor. My mum was dozing, so I decided to climb it. When I got to the top, I turned to wave at my mum, but she'd gone inside. So I stood there, looking over miles and miles of beautiful countryside and hills. Then I heard a low rumbling. I knew what it was, it was the growl of a Merlin engine. I stood there, waiting for it to appear, and it got louder and louder, and the ground started to shake. Then the spitfire came into view and it was so low and close, I could see the pilot's face as plain as day. He was 20 or younger, with blazing red hair, and he saw me. And he did a victory roll. He saw a little boy on a hill on his own, and he did a victory roll for this little boy. For me.'
Old 09-13-2006, 04:19 PM

Air shows rule!!! I used to go to the Payne Field air show in Everett, WA with my Grandpa when I was a kid (he's a flight instructor and got me into a lot of places I normally couldn't go) and I loved it. I was really sad when due to financial reasons they weren't able to put them on anymore.