Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-13-2006, 01:59 AM

Default Re: The war on faith.

[ QUOTE ]
Ummmmmm... no I'm not! But, for this analogy to have any relevance, the Bible would have to be written by God. It's widely accepted that the Bible was written by humans, not by God. Inspired does not equal written. Thank you please try again!

[/ QUOTE ]

A lot of Christians disagree with you. They believe the Bible is the 'inerrant word of God.'

By the way- If it is merely inspired by God and therefore not all true, it is virtually worthless since one cannot separate what is 'man' and what is 'God.' For instance- are the misogynistic passages a representation of God's feelings about women's place? Or are they the influence of sexist men?

What about homosexuality? Is that "God" or the influence of biased men?

Since man is far from perfect and subject to their own human limitations, biases and such... who can pretend to discern what sections are 'Holy' and what sections are completely perverted by man?
Old 09-13-2006, 02:08 AM

[ QUOTE ]
My ideas are pretty far fetched beyond your pathetic, group approval-seeking excuse for an intellect.

[/ QUOTE ]

FYP
Old 09-13-2006, 02:30 AM

[ QUOTE ]
A lot of Christians disagree with you. They believe the Bible is the 'inerrant word of God.'

By the way- If it is merely inspired by God and therefore not all true, it is virtually worthless since one cannot separate what is 'man' and what is 'God.'

[/ QUOTE ]
I dont think this is a valid point. It is easily possible for a divinely-inspired-but-not-dictated bible to provide hints as to what god meant - even if it has been partially corrupted through human error, intentional or otherwise.

That doesnt mean you dont have a problem if you claim a bible of this type is your guide to spirituality - but I dont think it is necessarily true that such a bible is "virtually worthless".
Old 09-13-2006, 08:21 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I think you are (unjustly) seperating the things which Christ explicitly said and taught from the things he IMPLICITLY taught by his acceptace of the OT as the literal word of God. I, and others in this thread, think that is absurd and extremely convenient for you to do. When you say Christ's teachings, you ALSO mean everything in the OT, since he accepted all of it as true and legitimate.

[/ QUOTE ]
What about the vision given to Peter as explained in the Book of Acts? Does that apply here?

[/ QUOTE ]
As an example of how the OT no longer applied? I suppose it can, although I'm not too concerned about it. I believe that you believe there is a justification for preserving some parts of OT law and ignoring the unsavory parts. I also believe there is scriptural support for this very thing. And I believe there is scriptural support AGAINST doing this very thing. Jesus accepting the OT as the literal word of God, and then God giving a message that certain parts are no longer applicable, while confusing and obviously contradictory (at least to me, although presumably not to you), is certainly par for the course.

[/ QUOTE ]
There's a lot to be learned from the Old Testament that has absolutely nothing to do with us following Mosaic Law.
Old 09-13-2006, 08:23 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Interestingly, the just-released Baylor Religion Survey shows that almost 20% of Americans think God favors America in world affairs. I am happy I happened to be born into the real estate god cares most about.

[/ QUOTE ]
What type of government did God originally set up for Israel?
Old 09-13-2006, 09:41 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Don't dis imaginary beings...you are one as well. Btw you probably shouldn't try to respond to any more of my posts. My ideas are pretty far beyond your pathetic, group approval-seeking excuse for an intellect.

[/ QUOTE ]

There's nothing like debating with imaginary beings, trying to convince them they're just imaginary beings.

And especially to tell it that it shouldn't respond to your posts.
Old 09-13-2006, 10:12 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Don't dis imaginary beings...you are one as well. Btw you probably shouldn't try to respond to any more of my posts. My ideas are pretty far beyond your pathetic, group approval-seeking excuse for an intellect.

[/ QUOTE ]

This sounds like you may be mentally ill. You might want to look into that.
Old 09-13-2006, 10:28 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I dont think this is a valid point. It is easily possible for a divinely-inspired-but-not-dictated bible to provide hints as to what god meant - even if it has been partially corrupted through human error, intentional or otherwise.

That doesnt mean you dont have a problem if you claim a bible of this type is your guide to spirituality - but I dont think it is necessarily true that such a bible is "virtually worthless".

[/ QUOTE ]

Yet it is virtually impossible to discern what is God's word. Many quote passages of the Bible as proof of the conviction of their beliefs... but once you admit that it is a human book, even if you believe there is Holy inspiration, no one can seperate the 'man' from the 'God.'

This is even more problematic by the fact that the Bible has suffered 1000s of versions thoughout the centuries... each time MAN altering it. Scholars believe in the best versions of the Bible today are based on copies, of copies, of copies, of copies, going back hundreds of years.

You can choose any book to be your spiritual guide. But to argue that it represents the divine as opposed to 'man' is simply hubris.
Old 09-13-2006, 11:07 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
It's virtually worthless as a definitive source. Where do the filters that you run it through come from but your pre-set values/views? You could use Wuthering Heights or Lassie Come Home if you just need a backdrop to mantle with your needs. "the bible is my source, but I just take out the parts that ..... "

Mind you, as a doorstop... as good as any.

luckyme
Old 09-13-2006, 11:53 AM

[ QUOTE ]
You can choose any book to be your spiritual guide. But to argue that it represents the divine as opposed to 'man' is simply hubris.

[/ QUOTE ]
What about the repeated attempts to destroy the Bible and wipe it off the face of the planet?

What about the fact that it is still in existence?

What about its popularity given the first question?

What about the prophecy contained within, such as when crucifixion was described by a man who had not only never seen a crucifixion, but the crucifixion process had not yet been invented before he died?

What about the other prophecies?

What about the percentage of error between manuscripts when compared to other historical works like the Illiad?

What about the fact that many of the writers knew Jesus personally when he walked this earth?