Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-13-2006, 07:22 AM

Default Re: night shifts

I actually work nights in Boston right now. Overnight concierge at the Carlton House.

It's not for people with families, or even girlfriends really.

I put up with it because it's a flawless job for school, the pay is great and i get full benefits.

You're going to have to weigh everything out, because no matter how well it works there are going to be downsides.
Old 09-13-2006, 08:26 AM

I worked a night shift and it was fine, I kind of liked it. I would rather work a night shift than 9-5, but I am not what you would call a "morning person". In fact I have always had a pretty malleable/[censored] up sleeping schedule. Also my job was kind of physical, this made it a lot easier to stay alert if I was tired. I really think there's a pretty large temperament component here. I know some people that are like me and could do it easily, and some who would be miserable. What are you like at night, do you stay up late already, or are you like my roommate who goes to sleep every night at 10:00 and will pretty much pass out/be exhausted if he tries to stay up later? How do you feel if you miss half a night of sleep?

Since most people have been negative and already listed most of the cons (these should be considered), I will list what I found to be the pros:

-Avoid rush-hour traffic if you have to commute
-Get to watch the sun rise every day
-Easier to run certain errands in the morning.
-You're finished with your day by the time most people are getting started. (I just enjoyed this psychologically I guess)
-If you're at all reclusive you may enjoy having fewer people around when you're awake.
Old 09-13-2006, 08:45 AM

thanks guys. I have only learned a little bit about the exact schedule but I'll be certain to ask about it when I can. I hadn't expected my social life to crash or anything because I have like three friends at the moment and can find time for each of them.

bottom line is that it may be as much as a $2/hr. pay raise, which is $4000 a year. I'm thinking hell yeah, but we'll see.

now I'm off for more interviews. wish me luck!
Old 09-13-2006, 08:53 AM

Man:

one last thing. I worked the night shift for about 9 months straight a couple years back.

It was a brutal shift, 12 hours long, from 8pm to 8am, 4 days a week. The hours weren't the issue. The issue was trying to balance my sleep schedule with a schedule that would allow me to actually see my wife occassionally, beyond just passing in the hall in the morning.

The other big issue I had was falling into a regular sleep schedule on the 3 days off. I would tend to stay up later than normal on my days off, and then get screwed when it was time to go back to work.

It takes a disciplined person to do the night shift, that's for sure. I wasn't (with regards to my sleep schedule) so it was brutal for me.

GL in your interview bro.