Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-13-2006, 01:09 AM

Default Re: If we go AC who gets the governments stuff?

My apologies guys, I use the search function frequently, and never in my wildest dreams did I imagine to put "+AC +police" in without expecting to read about the po-po in Atlantic City in the B&M forum or such.

I'm guessing the enormous surge in unemployment and crippling effect it would have as a result of dismantling the government has already been addressed as well, so I won't even ask and will search for it also.
Old 09-13-2006, 01:12 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Off topic, but related to this AC fantasy land.....do police exist in AC-land?

[/ QUOTE ]

Absolutely. A system of property rights predicates any economic system, period, and in the case of pure capitalism/AC, specifically *private property rights*. i.e. demand and supply for market goods cannot exist if the supply itself is not first owned and offered to be exchanged (*courtesy Walter Block)

You cant have any sort of functioning capitalism without an institutional protection of private property, which begins with one's own body and extends to that which has been established as one's property through voluntary exchange.

Furthermore, security is an economic good itself. Examples include but are not limited to:

Now the only reason you *cant reach out into the market and select the "police protection" you want i.e. the best one for you, which may not necessarily be the best one for your neighbor or the guy down the street, is because the government first steals your money and then buys standardized police officers which it then forces you to consume.

Yes, clearly there would be police officers in ACikstan.
Old 09-13-2006, 01:14 AM

Also there is that which you can receive from a third party found on the market:

Old 09-13-2006, 01:14 AM

Obviously dismantling the current government would cause massive unemployment. Same with any industry. But the nation didn't experience millions of people out of work when the car replaced the horse-and-buggy, or the lightbulb replaced the candle. Things happen slowly. I've said before that I'm on the fence on AC, but anyone can see for themselves that the government employed far fewer people 100 years ago, and there's no reason it can't gradually get that small again without economic disruption.
Old 09-13-2006, 01:18 AM

Government is also the only true *cause* of unemployment, but thats a whole 'nother thread.
Old 09-13-2006, 01:34 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm guessing the enormous surge in unemployment and crippling effect it would have as a result of dismantling the government has already been addressed as well, so I won't even ask and will search for it also.

[/ QUOTE ]
If there is demand for the service the government is providing what makes you think a free market economy wouldn't provide it? If someone is employed doing something there is no demand for, is it good or a bad for the economy?

Also, the amount of people employed by the state certainly can't be described as "enormous".
Old 09-13-2006, 01:36 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Yes, clearly there would be police officers in ACikstan.

[/ QUOTE ]

But if I shoot my neighbor dead......who is going to pay the police to investigate his murder, and then detain me, and then incarcerate me?
Old 09-13-2006, 01:39 AM

[ QUOTE ]
But if I shoot my neighbor dead......who is going to pay the police to investigate his murder, and then detain me, and then incarcerate me?

[/ QUOTE ]

Uhhhh...His friends? His family? Other neighbors in the area concerned about being shot dead by you?
Old 09-13-2006, 01:41 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Also, the amount of people employed by the state certainly can't be described as "enormous".

[/ QUOTE ]

I would say that the amount of folks who are employed directly by government, or who derive the majority of their income from government spending is enormous.
Old 09-13-2006, 01:43 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Uhhhh...His friends? His family? Other neighbors in the area concerned about being shot dead by you?

[/ QUOTE ]
He may even have a clause in his life insurance policy to have his death investigated and if his death was caused by someone to have them prosecuted.