Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Stud
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-12-2006, 07:05 PM

Default Boring Stud 8 live hand.

This is from a hand I played in a live $10/$20 mixed game (Omaha 8 or Better and Stud 8 or Better) at the Taj Mahal in Atlantic City last weekend.

I don't remember the upcards, but someone brought it in with something, a fairly passive / mean lady raised with an A up, folds to me, I call with (2 5) A, everyone else folds. Mean lady catches a 3, I pair my 2, she bets, I fold. Standard or not?
Old 09-12-2006, 08:27 PM

Default Re: Boring Stud 8 live hand.

I think you have to take one off and evaluate on fifth street. While you're almost always behind, it's rarely by that much. She's a small favorite with split Aces with a banana or a four-card low. You're only in trouble if she started with Aces with a baby or has trips.

Another factor to consider is that it is extremely satisfying to put mean ladies on tilt when you crack their Aces. I recommend that you catch another Deuce.
Old 09-12-2006, 10:21 PM

Given how she seemed to think about the game (she was indignant with one player for betting a low draw on 4th street), I think her most likely hand is split aces. Does that change things?
Old 09-12-2006, 10:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Given how she seemed to think about the game (she was indignant with one player for betting a low draw on 4th street), I think her most likely hand is split aces. Does that change things?

[/ QUOTE ]

Really? Split Aces?

I think her range is bit wider than that...

Pairing your duece is almost useless but I think I would peel here for one small bet and see how things do on 5th. Its kinda close though...twodimes!!!!
Old 09-14-2006, 04:50 AM

Borderline - can't really fault dumping it, but taking a card off is also a reasonable play on that small bet street. I'll often take one off there, depending on how live my hand is.

That looks like a nice mixed game. How was the play overall? Was passivity and a lot of calling the trend?