Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-12-2006, 01:13 PM

Default $200 NL Live Game with KK.

The table is relatively loose and I have played at this club four times so far. The people are getting an idea of how I play (I cashed out +100ish the last three times I was there) and have adjusted a bit, but I have been able to play a few hands interestingly enough to convince a few that I am a donk. The standard preflop raise is between 3.5xBB and 7.5xBB. The game is 1/2NL and I am the Button. It's a full ring game.

3 people limp in, the CO bets $15 (he just suffered a horrible beat on a runner runner straight and he just rebought for the max, $200). I look down and see KsKh. I raise to $45. The SB immediately starts counting out chips when I announce my raise and calls. Everyone folds to the CO who calls.

Now, they have seen me raise preflop with AKs before (made $12 to $36) and win the hand, but this was a week ago, and I am not sure how good their memories arel, but they did make a few snide comments about my play ("Who raises to $36 with AK?!"). I know the SB is one of the more decent players at the table, but I have seen him make a few disasterous plays before. I busted the CO out within the first hour of this night when I called a $20 bet preflop with Kings (I was in the sb), then raised him on the flop from $25 to $75, he called. All in on the turn, and I killed his pocket jacks. So, the last time I had a big pair I was passive with it preflop.

The flop comes with 3c 6h 7s. The SB immediatly goes all in (I am not even sure he paid attention to the flop) for $75. The CO folds.

I am guessing that the SB doesn't have aces as he wouldn't want me to see the flop for free by just calling (since I already had placed my bet). However, his aggression previously has always been less than a commitment to all in. Given this, I am guessing he could have Kings, Queens, or Jacks and might be putting me on AK. I don't see him calling with any of the possible sets with two strong raisers preflop. However, I could have this wrong and he could precisely have Aces or any of the three sets (pocket sixes had hit their sets about 3 times prior to this and he seems superstitious about seat choice, so he might think the same with cards).

There is about $140ish in the pot (maybe $135 if I include the rake). Is this an easy fold/call for anyone?
Old 09-12-2006, 01:23 PM

Default Re: $200 NL Live Game with KK.

Looks like this this guy likes to stack off with over pairs and there is only one over pair you have to worry about. I'd call quickly.
Old 09-12-2006, 01:26 PM

You pay $75 to win $215. No way you fold this. If he has AA or paid too much to flop two pair+ then it's "NH sir" and move on.
Old 09-12-2006, 01:40 PM

auto-call

can i ask why u think it would be something else?
Old 09-12-2006, 01:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
auto-call
can i ask why u think it would be something else?

[/ QUOTE ]

what in my post implied considering any other action but calling?
Old 09-12-2006, 02:05 PM

I think he might have been asking me why I thought there was any other action besides calling. This was the only hand that stood out for the night that had the largest outcome and required some thought on my part. Seeing as I want to continue to analyze my play, I want to see if anyone else has seen this behavior before or is laying down to the AA or trips.

****SPOILER****

The main reason to post is that my read of JJ-KK was wrong, and so maybe my guess at his preflop calling + pushing on the flop range is off. I will post a bit later the outcome.
Old 09-12-2006, 08:10 PM

I guess my post wasn't very exciting as it was an easy call for everyone. I called and the guy flipped over AKo. The turn and the river were both blanks so I was able to take down the pot. Of most of the hands I put him on or was scared of, I didn't see AKo being in his call/all-in range here. Meh, I guess I will make sure that my next hand is slightly more exciting.