Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-25-2006, 01:47 AM

Default AQo in BB

MP2 is a TAG, CO is LAG, and SB Loose/Passive

Party Poker 2/4 Hold'em (9 handed) FTR converter on zerodivide.cx

Preflop: Hero is BB with Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 raises</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, CO calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, SB calls, Hero calls.

Flop: (8 SB) 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
SB checks, Here checks , MP2 checks, <font color="#CC3333">CO bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">SB raises</font>, Hero ?

I was plannning on C/R the TAG. My plan failed, but I was still going to get in my C/R when the CO bet. When the SB C/R I am completely torn between a 3 bet and folding.

Thoughts?
Old 01-25-2006, 01:52 AM

Default Re: AQo in BB

I don't think it's 3-bet or fold. I think it's 3-bet or call. PFR checking means he's giving up, you don't have to worry about him. He's got some middling pair and is gone. CO is a lag, so not only does his flop bet mean little, you also aren't going to get him to fold anything for 2 more bets that you want to fold. 3-betting is ok, but not mandatory. I'd slightly lean towards cold-calling and seeing what the action is like behind you. Your hand will be well disguised and you maintain the option to raise the turn if you still desire.
Old 01-25-2006, 02:02 AM

you are right, i should not have ruled out a cold call. the CO bet did not worry me, it was the passive SB C/R that worried me.

If I was goign to play the hand, I wanted more information pre-flop if I was going to get stuck between a check-raiser and a LAG. That is why I was considering a 3-bet
Old 01-25-2006, 02:05 AM

Even passive players will checkraise a lag in a big pot.
Old 01-25-2006, 02:14 AM

Ok, I think you have talked me into a call with an evaluation/possible C/R on the turn.

Now, what about my check that got me into this mess? Is this a standard place to be thinking C/R, even though it most likely wont protect my hand based on the PFR position?
Old 01-25-2006, 03:46 AM

C/R is fine. You can't protect your hand by betting, so the c/r attempt is a good idea. Got kinda weird though, eh? [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

I call and see what happens after I check the turn. If you're ahead, the opponents have very few outs. If it's two cold to me on a bad turn, I fold.
Old 01-25-2006, 04:37 AM

I think SB will only have a Q most of the time. Therefore I like 3-betting to get more money in the pot. If SB caps then it's time to slow down.
Old 01-25-2006, 07:10 AM

3 bet all day long
Old 01-25-2006, 01:31 PM

I think there's also a strong case for the three bet -- the raiser may well have a hand like KQ, the LAG may well have less. So why not pound it and see what transpires. If the LAG folds, you can play the SB with position. If he caps and bets the turn (and the turn doesn't help) you can probably fold in peace if he's really a passive sort who wouldn't get aggro with less than two pair (didn't count the pot, if you're getting 8-1 or better on a turn call you can call planning to fold the river unimproved). If you are checked to on the turn, you can bet and take a free one on the river, or bet again for value depending on what falls and your read. That's how I'd play it.

But I agree that calling is also very viable here -- and that folding is not an option.
Old 01-26-2006, 04:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
C/R is fine. You can't protect your hand by betting, so the c/r attempt is a good idea.

[/ QUOTE ]

[img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img] How can a checkraise be a better attempt to protect our hand? The likely bettor is on our immediate left; if the TAG bets and it's called around to us, a checkraise won't accomplish much.

Isn't donking a better option, hoping that the TAG raises?