Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Who is warsaw's cousin?
Cyndi Sterling 32 35.16%
Cherry Poppens 26 28.57%
Roxy Rush 10 10.99%
Naomi 23 25.27%
Voters: 91. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-12-2006, 01:33 AM

Default Re: How could changover to AC could occur? (we only got one Earth)

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
The burden of proof generally falls upon the party *making* the claim.

[/ QUOTE ]
Who's making the claim, genius?

[/ QUOTE ]

Uh, did you read what *you wrote* right above what I wrote that you quoted?

Here it is again:

[ QUOTE ]
My argument, which you haven not directly refuted, is that the same incintives to go to war that are present now will be present post-AC. It is your burden to prove otherwise, considering the nature of your positive advocacy.

[/ QUOTE ]

BTW, that's not an argument, that's a claim.

Now, what exactly am I claiming that needs to be proven? I advocate you minding your own business, you advocate getting into other people's business. Who's making a claim here? Clearly, the person who wants to impose upon others.

[ QUOTE ]
If things aren't to your liking, prover to me that your way is better. You can't, so you're just full of it.

[/ QUOTE ]

I like Coke, you like Pepsi, if I can't "prove" that Coke is better than you're justified in forcing me to drink Pepsi?

It doesn't *matter* if my way is "better". You can do things your way all you want on your own. Go enjoy whatever you think is better and leave everyone else to suffer with whatver they want. Why would that bother you so much?
Old 09-12-2006, 01:36 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Its really obvious that the private sector pollutes much more than the government.

[/ QUOTE ]

The poll specifically qualified the pollution as "reckless abandon." Obviously the private sector pollutes more than the government since the private sector produces much more than the government.

But certainly private firms cannot recklessly polute unless a)its on "public" property or b) government allows it.

How reckless would you consider the following:

a) spreading agent orange or napalm to clear out forests
b) testing nuclear bombs over oceans and on islands
c) dumping rocket boosters or outdated mustard gas into the ocean

-----------------------------------------------

Perhaps a more clear demonstration can be made by the following series of questions: (assumption: you absolutely crave McDonalds food all the time, like me)

1)what would you do if you woke up and found out that the McDonalds down your street has emptied its dumpster onto your front lawn?

2) what would you do if you woke up and found out that the McDonalds down your street has been emptying its dumpsters into its own private land fill that it maintains several miles away? (*corollary note - the cost of this is built into the food you love so much)
Old 09-12-2006, 01:38 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Why would that bother you so much?

[/ QUOTE ]

Because he and every politician and every big government statist *knows what is good for you and you don't*
Old 09-12-2006, 01:45 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Another source is protection or extortion rackets.

[/ QUOTE ]

Is this not exactly what a state is?
Old 09-12-2006, 02:14 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Another source is protection or extortion rackets.

[/ QUOTE ]

Is this not exactly what a state is?

[/ QUOTE ]
Zing
Old 09-12-2006, 04:44 PM

No [censored] sherlock that was my point. Sure government might have screwed us up but at this point it might be the only thing that can protect us from the monster its created.
Old 09-12-2006, 04:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Sure government might have screwed us up but at this point it might be the only thing that can protect us from the monster its created.

[/ QUOTE ]

Shooting four kittens in the head every morning *might* be the only thing keeping dragons from invading.
Old 09-12-2006, 05:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
No [censored] sherlock that was my point. Sure government might have screwed us up but at this point it might be the only thing that can protect us from the monster its created.

[/ QUOTE ]
lol at the only thing able to protect us from something is the one that created it.

As long as government is given this power, it will continue creating these horrific conditions. You have to end the cycle sometime right? Think about the future, where the government couldn't summon tax dollars at whim for some project to create something that not only has no demand, but threatens the very existance of this one earth.
Old 09-12-2006, 07:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you're the only grocery store for 100 miles, you can charge whatever you want. And if you threaten not to sell to anyone who works for your competitor, your competitor isn't going to stay in business for long.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Or you've just created huge incentives for someone to come in and compete with you.

[/ QUOTE ]

This seems to be very obvious. If this monopoly giant of a grocery store sells apples for $50 but threatens not to sell to people who work for a competitor, then all the competitor has to do is come in and offer the solution, "I'm charging $10 an apple but come work for me and and your apples will only cost $3!" He's in business I think!
I still don't understand why so many people think there would be tons of monopolies charging way too much for goods and services in AC-land.