Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Legislation
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-12-2006, 12:04 AM

Default Brainstorming

I am far from convinced(I'll readily concede I could be wrong) that the PPA's present approach combatting this or like bills will succeed in the long term(perhaps a noble crapshoot for this session of Congress).

I think the appoach of 'everybody plays and loves poker, the game of skill' will fall on deaf ears. Those ears are the impetus behind this bill and to them it is a moral question. Gambling's immorality is the driving force of this legislation. To effectively combat such notions, I would think one must fight them on their own turf, the moral question. Perhaps we could emphasize the freedom Americana aspect and/or 'freedom of the net' issues[we're not China(google situation, etc.)]. Put the spotlight on husbands/housewives, grandmothers, invalids, whomever can demonstrate the restriction of freedom of leisure activities for ordinary Americans in their homes. This may seem far-fetched or perhaps to the politically astute somewhat trite, but professionally packaged is the stuff politics is made of(and hence changing of minds).

As to how to go about realizing this or any other idea, I leave to others. We need ideas, any others out there?