Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Computer Technical Help
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-08-2006, 10:38 PM

Default Internet provider and router question.....

Based on the advice here - I decided to go wired down to the room I'm renting. I notice when I do an Ipconfig - there is no connection specific DNS suffix on my computer. My connection seems to seriously come and go but.... maybe this is just because we were constantly unplugginf ethernet cables???

Situation is cable from outside to a cable modem - cable modem to a router that has 2 phone lines (vonage) and another short ethernet cable going to a wireless router (for the upstairs people) I'm hardwired as is the landlord to that one for the computers downstairs. Do I need to do anything special in my setup to connect and make the connection better. Should I just do the classic reset on the first cable modem?(turn off for 30 seconds)

BTW - the landlord is being charged for an extra Ip address (from years ago) They insist you have to pay for an extra Ip address if you go wired off a router????? WTF!! This can't be correct and I can only imagine people pay for extra Ip addreses for business purposes. Advice???
Old 09-09-2006, 12:22 PM

Default Re: Internet provider and router question.....

Well you have a bunch of different points of falure.
You probably should go from the cable modem to a wifi router (they almost always have wired access too) and eliminate a router.

btw how are the routers set up .. are they bridged?
are either or both acting as a dns server?

As for the IP .. if you are using your own routers, just tell them you are only using one PC and are connected directly to the cable modem.
Old 09-09-2006, 02:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Does bridged simply mean connected to each other? no idea about the second one - Can you clarify? Maybe I'll jst call Comcast asn see what the donk tech support says.
Old 09-10-2006, 03:07 AM

[ QUOTE ]

As for the IP .. if you are using your own routers, just tell them you are only using one PC and are connected directly to the cable modem.

[/ QUOTE ]

They can actually tell if there is more than one computer connected, and they can even identify if that computer is using Windows/Mac/Unix. Every packet you send has a number associated with it that is suppose to be semi-random (I can't quite remember the details of the specs, but thats close). But every OS has a different system of incrementing the number from one packet to the next. Windows does something like adding 100 to the number for each packet. So if they detect two different sequences as the same time (ie. 100->200->300->400 at the same times as 1000->1100->1200) they know.

Realistically though, they don't care. Most ISPs even say that you're allowed to connect up to X (often 4 or more) computers to a home network. I would be talking to your ISP and if they won't stop charging him, go find another ISP.
Old 09-10-2006, 01:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Does bridged simply mean connected to each other? no idea about the second one - Can you clarify? Maybe I'll jst call Comcast asn see what the donk tech support says.

[/ QUOTE ]

There are two ways to connect them, via a regular port so each router acts as its own dns (assuming that is how they are set up) or the port that is usually off to the side from the other ports. If you connect the two by that port (on both of them) then the other router is just basically adding more ports, all the traffic is passed to both the routers.
Old 09-10-2006, 11:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Well you have a bunch of different points of falure.
You probably should go from the cable modem to a wifi router (they almost always have wired access too) and eliminate a router.

[/ QUOTE ]
i am thinking that the ISP has sold them 2 static IPs, thus causing the extra charge. That or they found out he is sharing with renters and has incurred a charge for that.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
you think the wireless router is broadcasting the same IP range that the hard wired router is issuing? That could cause some problems.
Old 09-11-2006, 07:24 PM

Funny - now seems to be working fine - if problems show up again - I'll call Comcast and I'd even be willing to pay for an extra Ip address if it fixes any possible future problems. (they may have to come to the house again and check the entire convuluted wiring system set up. For now - seems to be good -

Thanks for the advice and lingo lessons.....