Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-11-2006, 04:59 PM

Default Re: Do you play this the way I did?

Reads reads reads reads reads

I call river when villain doesn't back down, but in .5/.10 it could just be some donkey who doesn't care if he fritters away his two bucks.

Edit: Raise/call preflop is six of one, a half-dozen of the other. Your equity is probably about even here.

The best argument for: it's a pot-builder for a multiway hand (with a leeetle bit of top-pair/overpair value) like yours, and you may get a free card on an all-overcard flop for a 33% greater chance of spiking your set and pwning random aces and kings.

Old 09-11-2006, 05:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I play pocket pairs lower than jacks for setvalue only. If I raise pre flop, I'm just gonna loose a lot of money all the times I don't hit the flop. And also, at these limits a preflop raise is just a pot sweetner.

[/ QUOTE ]

At this limit 99 should be an easy raise. It's probably ok in EP or early MP to limp. You've got a small equity edge preflop. This is the reason to raise. The 'pot sweetner' comment is just weak sauce, but stick around here long enough and we'll break you of that habit. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

At first I thought your screen name had something to do with fish (fiske). [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 09-11-2006, 05:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]

You guys are probably the more experienced ones, but is it not possible that this is only the best approach at higher limits?

[/ QUOTE ]

Nope, this is good up to 1/2 where I topped out. At the lower limits this pair will often hold up and win unimproved, and with position it lets you bet at scary flops or even get a free turn card.

[ QUOTE ]

Let's say I raise 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] from the button after 2 limpers before me. The big blind and both the limpers call my raise.
On these flops, action to me has been call-bet-fold. What should I do, what is my plan on turn and river, and why?

#1 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

#2 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]10[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

#3 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

#4 10[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

You need reads on your opponents before you can make cookie cutter plays just based on the board. What is true of all hands is of course true for this hand. If you aren't comfortable playing it post-flop after you raise it then don't raise with it.
Old 09-11-2006, 05:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
should have raised pre-flop it might have got a limper or 2 out and you could be less worried about JT

[/ QUOTE ]

this is a $.05 $.10 game, even at a $.50 $1.00 game people who are already committed are unlikely to fold JTs (maybe JTo, maybe) to a CO's bet after they already limped. i think its fine as played.

well, the pre flop is fine, turn is probobly too aggressive unless your sure he's a fish
Old 09-11-2006, 05:25 PM

*Grunch*

I raise this preflop.

Any reads on BB? because he isn't calling two bets cold on the flop with nothing. Also comming alive when the bets get big tell me he has something.

Saying that you're only behind to QQ and JT.

If villian is passive I just call this river, if he's really agro I raise and 3-bet.

Rest of the hand seems fine to me.
Old 09-11-2006, 05:35 PM

calling pre-flop is okay, as there are already 3 players in pocket nines are very vulnerable to overcards pairing on the flop...i might prefer to raise though for a few reasons. The first is as other say, to keep out speculative hands like , KTo, JTo or small pocket pairs. Second is to buy the button for the later rounds...and third is the potential to see the flop for free.

On the flop you have possible flush & straight draws to contend with...thus raising is correct, and here your not raising preflop helps some, as the pot is perhaps 5 small bets smaller, thus the odds are not as rewarding for a speculative hand.

On the turn I would have raised and only called the 3 bet...i would not cap unless i had the absolute nuts, and there is a potential straight on the board...i think the turn is when most players show the real value of their holdings, plus a 3 bets is normally a pretty serious action...unless you have some sort of special insight on the villian--i call, and hope for board to pair or another nine to come before i raise.

On the river, call the bet.
Old 09-11-2006, 06:44 PM

I think that i would have played it only slightly differently which, as everyone else says is to raise preflop, but calling is not the worst thing that you could do.
Old 09-11-2006, 06:57 PM

*Grunch*
When your turn raise gets 3-bet I probably just call and just call on the river expecting to see JTo. It seems villian waited to raise the turn with something even after the flop action.

Any reads would be helpful. At .05/.10 you could see pocket 4's at showdown. This limit is like watching cartoons.
Old 09-11-2006, 07:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Not to be a nit but I think the call is fine

[ QUOTE ]
From SSHE Page 66 Last Paragraph on Page

Medium Pairs 99,88,77

Once two or more players have already limped you should usually limp to encourage multiway action.

[/ QUOTE ]

I believe that raising 99 here only encourages the SB and the BB to go away and you would like them to stay around since you will gain more payoff when you hit your set. Playing against three opponents is the worst situation for 99.

[/ QUOTE ]
I strongly disagree. SB and BB are both coming in 99.9% of the time at this limit.

This is an easy raise for value IMO.

Edit: A lot of posters are saying that we are raising to get opponents to fold. I think this is a mistake. 99 at this limit is very strong, and we want as many callers as will come in with their weaker holdings.
Old 09-11-2006, 07:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Not to be a nit but I think the call is fine

[ QUOTE ]
From SSHE Page 66 Last Paragraph on Page

Medium Pairs 99,88,77

Once two or more players have already limped you should usually limp to encourage multiway action.

[/ QUOTE ]

I believe that raising 99 here only encourages the SB and the BB to go away and you would like them to stay around since you will gain more payoff when you hit your set. Playing against three opponents is the worst situation for 99.

[/ QUOTE ]
I strongly disagree. SB and BB are both coming in 99.9% of the time at this limit.

This is an easy raise for value IMO.

Edit: A lot of posters are saying that we are raising to get opponents to fold. I think this is a mistake. 99 at this limit is very strong, and we want as many callers as will come in with their weaker holdings.

[/ QUOTE ]

dido