Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Beats, Brags, and Variance
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-11-2006, 12:47 AM

Default Re: michael jordan beat

[ QUOTE ]
Let's not forget it's a lot harder for a guy as large and thick as Shaq is to shoot accurately than it is for your average point guard.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes. Try shooting free throws with a tennis ball and see how good your percentage is. The man's hands are monstrous.
Old 09-11-2006, 01:00 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
MJ wasn't even close to the best player. Wilt was so far ahead of anyone else it's not even close.

Let me know when MJ leads the NBA in points, rebounds, and assists. Best defensive player ever, or second to the below. They changed the f'ing rules of the game to make him less dominant, unlike MJ who got to 3step walk anytime he wanted.
Wilt set the rebound record on Bill Russell. 50+ppg for a season. Never fouled out of a game, ever. Averaged over 48mins a game one year.

Most titles? Oh, then Bill Russell's the best. No question.

[/ QUOTE ]

I would just assume everyone knew this, but you obviously do not. The names you mentioned played in a different era of the NBA completely. The game evolved A LOT from the time Wilt was freely dunking on all of the doofy white guys who... I also guarantee you that if you put Wilt into the league today, he would struggle to perform better than average.

[/ QUOTE ]

Your last sentence proves you are a moron. Did Wilt lead the NBA in assists for a season because everyone else was a doofus white guy? When did MJ ever do that? Did he put up 55[!]rbs on Russell by magic?
Centers/PF who guarded Wilt from Wilt's era: Bill Russell [who Wilt set the alltime rebound record on,] Jerry Lucas, Dolph Schayes, Willis Reed, Nate Thurmond, Wes Unseld, Walt Bellamy, Elvin Hayes, Bob Lanier, Kareem. They are ALL in the Hall of Fame.

Wilt was ROY and MVP his first year, that's how dominant he was. The NBA made 2 significant rule changes to prevent him from being more dominant, whereas the NBA and refs looked the other way constantly to allow MJ to score as much as possible.

'Wilt was the greatest offensive player I have ever seen," said Bill Russell, Chamberlain's greatest rival and the center for the championship Boston Celtics of the '60s. "Because his talent and skills were so super human, his play forced me to play at my highest level. If I didn't, I'd risk embarrassment and our team would likely lose."

Dominating the game as few players in any sport ever have, Chamberlain seemed capable of scoring and rebounding at will, despite the double- and triple-teams and constant fouling tactics that opposing teams used to try to shut him down.

As Oscar Robertson put it when asked whether Chamberlain was the best ever, "The books don't lie."'

"He was also MVP in 1966 through 1968. He led the NBA in scoring seven straight seasons, 1960-66, and led the league in rebounding 11 of his 14 seasons.

Chamberlain was such a force that the NBA changed some of its rules, including widening the lane to try to keep him farther from the basket.
Chamberlain also holds the single-game record for rebounds, 55, against Boston in 1960.
Years ago, teams could pass the ball over the backboard or take a running start when attempting a foul shot. The former was outlawed because Chamberlain would use the backboard as a screen, cherry-picking passes and converting them into layups; the latter was banned after Chamberlain took a running start, leapt from the foul line and dunked the ball."

In 1967, Wilt had 24ppg, 24rpb, and 7.8apg, leading the Sixers to the title, and simply posting the best season ever for any player. In the 1962 season he played every minute of every game but 6 for the entire season.

Wilt's career: 30ppg, 23rpg, 4.4apg.
MJ: 30ppg, 6.2rbg, 5.3apg.

You are an ignorant 20-something, and it shows. Russell and Oscar say he was the best ever, your retorts only make you look retarded.

[/ QUOTE ]

man even jimmy sounds more interesting to hang out with than u guys
Old 09-11-2006, 01:04 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Let's not forget it's a lot harder for a guy as large and thick as Shaq is to shoot accurately than it is for your average point guard.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes. Try shooting free throws with a tennis ball and see how good your percentage is. The man's hands are monstrous.

[/ QUOTE ]

bs, watch the best centers from ex-yugoslavian countries shoot free throws. Hell, watch Yao Ming (.853)
Old 09-11-2006, 01:14 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

bs, watch the best centers from ex-yugoslavian countries shoot free throws. Hell, watch Yao Ming (.853)

[/ QUOTE ]

How many of them are anywhere near as thick or heavy as Shaq?

A more accurate comparison would be shooting freethrows with a tennis ball into a rim 5 times smaller than normal.
Old 09-11-2006, 01:27 AM

[ QUOTE ]

How many of them are anywhere near as thick or heavy as Shaq?

[/ QUOTE ]

Not many, but that's not the issue here, players with at least a similar body shoot FT's insanely better. You'll never convince Shaq isn't better at free throws because he's physically incapable of it.
Old 09-11-2006, 01:30 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
MJ wasn't even close to the best player. Wilt was so far ahead of anyone else it's not even close.

Let me know when MJ leads the NBA in points, rebounds, and assists. Best defensive player ever, or second to the below. They changed the f'ing rules of the game to make him less dominant, unlike MJ who got to 3step walk anytime he wanted.
Wilt set the rebound record on Bill Russell. 50+ppg for a season. Never fouled out of a game, ever. Averaged over 48mins a game one year.

Most titles? Oh, then Bill Russell's the best. No question.

[/ QUOTE ]

I would just assume everyone knew this, but you obviously do not. The names you mentioned played in a different era of the NBA completely. The game evolved A LOT from the time Wilt was freely dunking on all of the doofy white guys who had no clue how to defend him. Watch an old game on ESPN classic sometime... those guys weren't even in the same league as the players of today. I guarantee if you put MJ in Wilt's shoes he would have done the same and more. I also guarantee you that if you put Wilt into the league today, he would struggle to perform better than average.

Anyway, I found the video I was talking about and a few other good ones. Just sucks that they're all so small on youtube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aLPjzdCyYBo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YQTb4w0YaeM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=22PY1...n%20MJ%20Dunks

p.s. LOL disgruntled Knicks fans

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah Wilt and Russell played in the era of 30% shooters, and run shoot miss rebound, rinse repeat as fast as possible
Old 09-11-2006, 03:02 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Would it be crazy if I said I can shoot free throws better than Shaq?

[/ QUOTE ]
Anybody else find that weird? I mean he plays in the NBA, practises like 5 hours a day and still he cant shoot more than 50%.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thats cause Shaqs a FISH!!

[/ QUOTE ]

It is God's way of showing us that nobody is perfect.
Old 09-11-2006, 04:02 AM

Default Re: FoxwoodsFiend

[ QUOTE ]

Thanks for the first half-reasonable post in this thread. Obviously Kurt Rambis is the biggest challenge to MJ.

[/ QUOTE ]

Old 09-11-2006, 04:43 AM

GGBman, i like your mention of oscar robinson, most people dont think about him, he AVERAGED triple double for christs sake. The problem with Wilt and Russell is they did play at a time where they were dominant because of their size, almost the way shaq was for a bit when he was quicker and more athletic. If wilt went up against Shaq in both of their primes, Shaq would eat him alive. You cant compare people in totally different eras and people of totally different skill dispositions. MJ was the most talented and skilled player ever. He proved this by (almost) single handedly taking a very mediocre team and winning 3 championships with them.

Chump Change you're a damn idiot for making remarks like that. Jordan simply didnt have 30 points a game against the best ball players in the world without being an exceptional shooter/ballhandler. aside from the mark prices and chris mullins ...whos only job was to be a set up shooter, theres nobody that is a better jump shooter, and i'll garuntee you in a game of around the world or horse..hed kick your ass.

He cant dribble eh? He played point guard half the game and whenever the game was on the line..who got the ball? Jordan of course, not on a set shot, but just given the ball and simply said ..take it to the hole..and he did it damn near every time.
You all mention Isiah Thomas and Magic Johnson, but why not Larry Bird..who was better than both in my opinion. I would also think Dominque Wilkins and Charles Barkley need to be mentioned as well. Byrd was probably the best shooter ever and the most fundamental player, had he had Jordans talent and ability he would have been the best ever.

All in All Chamberlin was the most dominant, Jordan mastered the game better.
Old 09-11-2006, 05:12 AM

Ggbman and ff win this thread. CC would have lost if not for his who gives a sht attitude.

That is all.